I just gotta ask

By Burnhamalive, in Mansions of Madness

..........is this game going to include any of the scenarios from the actual CoC roleplaying supplement of the same name? I mean, should I plan on running into Mr. Corbitt's son?

In a way, that would be kinda cool, but at the same time, it would suck if my copy of the rpg book was made obsolete because my friends will have already experienced those adventures in this game.

Either way, I'm definitely getting this game, but just wondering.

Burnhamalive said:

..........is this game going to include any of the scenarios from the actual CoC roleplaying supplement of the same name? I mean, should I plan on running into Mr. Corbitt's son?

In a way, that would be kinda cool, but at the same time, it would suck if my copy of the rpg book was made obsolete because my friends will have already experienced those adventures in this game.

Either way, I'm definitely getting this game, but just wondering.

I don't think there's any way of anyone being able to answer you unless they work for FFG, in which case it would just come out as a press release. That being said, even if they're inspired to use scenarios from the RPG, there's still going to be enough difference to enjoy both games separately.

Well, HPL's work on the Mythos is in the public domain but Chaosium's RPG is not. Much like Arkham Horror itself is not. In order for FFG to borrow material from the CoC RPG, they'd have to have some sort of agreement with Chaosium. That would involve fees and contracts and a bunch of other red tape they can avoid simply by sticking to what's in HPL's public domain writings instead. This is not to say it's impossible they might take scenarios from the RPG, but I suspect it's unlikely.

Unless the font for "Mansions of Madness" is the same in the RPG, I'd be inclined to say it's a generic enough title that FFG could use it without owing anything to Chaosium for using the same name.

I don't remember the characters of Mr Corbitt or his son, personally, so I don't know if they're part of the Mythos or something invented for CoC. If they belong to HPL's body of work, then FFG could very easily use them, too. Assuming both CoC and FFG are working from the same story to create their independent scenarios, you might end up with something very similar, but probably not identical. If they were created by Chaosium, they almost certainly will not appear in FFG's game. Unless FFG and Chaosium have actually signed on to work together, of course, but again I think that's unnecessary and thus unlikely.

The scenarios and details of the scenario will be different each game, chosen by the Keeper each game. So, while two gaming sessions of MoM might have the "main" scenario plot for the Keeper be to abduct X and sacrifice an NPC to awaken Chtulhu ... who needs to be abducted, where the sacrifice takes place, what time the sacrifice takes place, how the sacrifice is done, where the various items and NPCs start, etc, all will change from game to game depending on the Cards the Keeper gets/chooses and which items and where they are placed on the board (some random, some assigned by the Keeper).

So, no, I wouldn't think it would obsolete anything from the RPG.

Well, each scenario has different options for the keeper, so the classic Corbitt adventure could possibly play out differently, if it's actually included. But I wouldn't be surprised if CoC RPG scenarios were included. Mansions of Madness is the title of a great collection of RPG scenarios from Chaosium. FFG already uses RPG stuff in Arkham Horror and the Cthulhu card game, like the Order of the Silver Twilight, which was created for the Shadows of Yog-Sothoth campaign.

Whether they're completely original or have some RPG basis, I can imagine some really fan created stuff coming out for this game. I am constantly amazed at the Arkham Horror fan stuff and stuff for RPGs.