Mi-Go Decks not viable ?

By The Dog of War, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Dark Initiate said:

The issue of whether Dreamlands Messenger stops Forced Responses just came in game that I played. Is there a definitive answer as to whether he does?

Maybe someone'd like to mail the question to FFG Support, i.e. Damon?

I think this may be an example of poor wording. The player, as far as I can tell, doesn't really trigger forced responses so much as resolves them. I believe the game is triggering them... but that said, the way things are worded, Forced Responses should not be able to trigger when DM is out and about.

Wasn't there some Mi-Go decks that did well at a recent regional tournament?

Cranekick said:

Wasn't there some Mi-Go decks that did well at a recent regional tournament?

I've been working on a Mi-Go deck and I've adjusted it until it can finally beat my fiance's Deep Ones Khopesh deck. I've found Bast's Hunt to be very useful as it can stop a Khopesh character from moving beyond one wound. One card that is pretty useless though is Examining the Optic Nerve. There is little reason to use it over Magnifying Glass. I think Examining the Optic Nerve should give all Mi-Go character one Examination until the end of the round. That would make it much better. I don't bother with either though, just get those Mi-Go Scouts out there and you're good.

I am putting together a Mi-go deck now, too. It combines some of the ideas on here, I'll post it when it feels done.

I actually beat it last night, but I think it was because my opponent did not understand the brutality of Dreamlands Messenger and Voice of the Jungle. That idea is pretty terrifying, especially when someone executes the effect from The Second Dragon and you are staring at 3 X Dreamlands Messenger.

There are also some good Shub cards that make every Mi-go killed easier capable of bringing out 3 more. At some point, it's just too much to do anything other than mill your opponent.

Anyway, thanks to all posters for putting this "bug" in my head gui%C3%B1o.gif .

The ultimate question is: will there be 10 Mi-Go decks at the next Mythos and Microbrews?

grant_babb said:

I am putting together a Mi-go deck now, too. It combines some of the ideas on here, I'll post it when it feels done.

I actually beat it last night, but I think it was because my opponent did not understand the brutality of Dreamlands Messenger and Voice of the Jungle. That idea is pretty terrifying, especially when someone executes the effect from The Second Dragon and you are staring at 3 X Dreamlands Messenger.

There are also some good Shub cards that make every Mi-go killed easier capable of bringing out 3 more. At some point, it's just too much to do anything other than mill your opponent.

Anyway, thanks to all posters for putting this "bug" in my head gui%C3%B1o.gif .

The ultimate question is: will there be 10 Mi-Go decks at the next Mythos and Microbrews?

If I show up I'm bringing at least 3 variations to see which works the best. :P

Mi-Go decks did do quite well at the FFG Regionals this year. The two that showed up ended up in the top 4 IIRC.

Hellfury said:

Mi-Go decks did do quite well at the FFG Regionals this year. The two that showed up ended up in the top 4 IIRC.

Do you recall how they were playing them and if they were mono Shub?

Hellfury said:

jhaelen said:

Hellfury said:

There was also one at the German Regionals. It used Yog as a secondary faction and the Descendant of Eibon as its restricted card. It also featured a bunch of characters from other factions to put into play (like Dreamlands Fanatic and Master Of Myth).

I've considered Yog, but with Doppleganger for my restricted card (can turn it into a copy of your Mi-Go character that will give the greatest benefit at the moment).

Are there copies of any of these decks online? I'd like to see/try some of them.

dboeren said:

Are there copies of any of these decks online? I'd like to see/try some of them.

Not that I am aware of, sadly. I urged them all to post their decks online, but havent seen them.

Not to devalue the ideas of their Mi-Go decks, but their decks were fairly rudimentary as far as what one would expect to be contained within a Mi-Go tribal deck. Nothing really esoteric about the builds.

Lots of Mi-Go characters that add to the greater Mi-Go mutual benefit pool, a few support cards that do the same, etc. A couple choices that add flavor to what you think you may need (like burrowing beneath, etc.)

It just shows how a decent deck when played well can really shine.

With that said, they did not fare well against destruction. They were not fast enough to really dominate as quickly as Mi-Go are known for when they explode across the board when not facing destruction.

Hellfury said:

dboeren said:

Not that I am aware of, sadly. I urged them all to post their decks online, but havent seen them.

Not to devalue the ideas of their Mi-Go decks, but their decks were fairly rudimentary as far as what one would expect to be contained within a Mi-Go tribal deck. Nothing really esoteric about the builds.

Lots of Mi-Go characters that add to the greater Mi-Go mutual benefit pool, a few support cards that do the same, etc. A couple choices that add flavor to what you think you may need (like burrowing beneath, etc.)

It just shows how a decent deck when played well can really shine.

With that said, they did not fare well against destruction. They were not fast enough to really dominate as quickly as Mi-Go are known for when they explode across the board when not facing destruction.

I've found this to be a huge weakness as well which is why I think the new Abhorrent Spore card from Lost Rites is going to be a big help to any Mi-Go deck. There are some great options for dealing with Khopesh as well. I think the only other major weakness they have is Terror. You need a Mi-Go skull in order to get them a Terror icon and you can only have one in a play at a time.

Well, all you really need is one…

Hellfury said:

Depends on if you just want protection form insanity or if you want to win Terror struggles.

ssjevot said:

Hellfury said:

Depends on if you just want protection form insanity or if you want to win Terror struggles.

That sounds like looking the gift horse in the mouth to me.

If you want to win a terror struggle then commit lots of mi-go to stories. But you are at least protected from insanity so that really should be enough frankly.

They already get any other icon and a compounded amount of those to boot, even beating nerds in investigation easily.

So again, it sounds like looking the gift horse in the mouth to me. If winning terror struggles are that important, then you are playing the wrong deck. Mi-Go cannot and should not be the end all of deck builds. it has to have a drawback. Them even getting access to Terror is pretty strong already in my opinion.

Hellfury said:

That's what I was thinking too. Mi-Go excel when you can pile up a lot of them and get those bonuses up. With the meta featuring a lot of character removal lately (although it may be swinging back the other way now?) that's not a good environment for them.

ssjevot said:

I've considered Yog, but with Doppleganger for my restricted card (can turn it into a copy of your Mi-Go character that will give the greatest benefit at the moment).

At one point one of them also used a Mi-Go deck with Cthulhu as a secondary faction featuring the Khopesh. I guess, there are many variations on a Mi-Go deck that can work quite well.

Mark participated in the FFG EC casual tourney this saturday, and he remembered that I had requested a deck list for his mi-go. So he provided the following list:

x3 Snowgraves

x2 Y'golonac

x2 Mi-go scout

x2 Mi-go warrior

x3 Gibbering soul

x3 Eat the dead

x2 Mi-go dreams

x3 Mi-go surgeon

x3 Mi-go commander

x3 Ageless Mi-go

x3 Diseased sewer rats

x3 Mi-go caretaker

x3 Mi-go guard

x3 Mi-go observer

x2 Mi-go skull

x3 Wooden Homonculus

x2 Bred to survive

x2 Burrowing Beneath

x2 Horrid Mutation

x3 Open grave

Total: 52 cards

What kinds of decks did you face off against? See anything interesting or note worthy, or just unexpected?

I played yog/cthulhu destruction at that tourney. The only deck that really gave me fits was Matt's Syndicate/hastur deck (which I faced twice) and was designed to go against destruction and his deck did a great job of it as I was never able to get a foothold against it. Hastur always seemed to be in his hand to answer any threat I gave. Matt didn't even have all the cards he would have liked to build the deck and just built with what small pool he had available. He played it VERY well and deserved the top honors that day in my book.

I faced both Mi-go decks. I certainly did not expect to see those. Destruction made short work of them, unfortunately. Especially once Cthulhu II was in play as he locked down the board once board control was established.

Oddly enough, one of the mi-go players liked facing my destruction deck more than my mill deck. He said discard was extremely unfun to play against whenever we played in the past. I can see that, but personally I find it odd as mono Yog takes considerably more finesse to pull off a win with and is an uncommon deck type seen in competitive venues.

The meta was pretty mixed. A lot of new players. Josh has done a great job in organizing local players to actually attend game nights at FFG.

So the other night I was typing in a bunch of forum decks and trying them on Lackey…

I played one game with this one and didn't do too well, but it was partially my own fault. Very early on (turn 1-2) I came up with the idea of getting my Gibbering Soul killed at a story in order to draw Harvesting Mi-go and play it so I could retrieve Gibbering Soul to pump up one of my domains quicker and start dropping bigger guys.

Great plan, let's do it!

Only problem is, after I started searching through my deck I discovered there WAS no Harvesting Mi-go! I had just assumed that since this was a Mi-go deck he would definitely be in there but I guess not :)

I think Corrupted midwife is a must. Mi go work well when there are many on the board, if someone kills them bringing them from grave is so much better than losing card advantage. Other problem is price, - Harvesting, Bubastis and Feed her young will make it much easier to get them on board.

The problem is still they dont do anything extraordinary, just good icons might not be enough. Especialy as attacking when both sides have many characters can put you really behind - defender will commit his guys to counter your choice and then some of your guys will not be able to defend. Even Mi-Go needs some "surprise" (but really i dont think surprising is as important as ability to react to defenders commit) like black dog etc. to make defending player less comfortable.