Looking to buy expansions

By The_Espi, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I cant afford them all at once. But which one would you buy first? and what order would you buy them after?

Thanks in advance

all depends of what king of game yuo're looking for.

if you like the basic tattics of descent "the well of darkness" and "altair of despair" will give you more maps, monster treasure and new overlord tattics.

Road to legend and Sea of blood are really fun, they look's like a rpg, emulating the level up. the plotting of the evil forces triyng to destroy the world. it's more complicated but give much more satisfaction.

the reverse side : without the basic expansion, WoD and AoD (...tomb of ice was skipped by in italy for some reason so i can't tell you how it'is) road to legend and Sea of blood are not so good to play.

so my advice is to buy at first WoD or AoD and then RtL o Sob, the first it' like an old conan's film, the second rasemble pirates of carabian

I would get Tomb of Ice first. :) lots of positive about that - being the heroes gain feats.

I like Well of Darkness and Altar of Despair equally the same... I can't EVER remember which one has the quest at the start where the whole level is caving in one piece at a time behind you - but that one is a blast.

I would get the base game - tomb of ice - one of the other 2 expansions (hey - or both!) before you really get into the campaigns.

2 reasons - if you have all the expansions before you start the campaigns... you will have the full compliment of monsters at your disposal. :)

second - you really need to have a very good feel for the game - understand the dynamics - understand how it all runs and smoothly - otherwise - you will be frustrated as can be the first several sessions of a campaign. Others might not 100% agree with that - but it's a lot of rules with the base game and expansions - and you have even more stuff going on in the campaign...

Just my 2 gold...

I've heard a lot of positive feedback on Tomb of Ice as well, so go for it! I want to get it too, but it seems to be out of print. I only have one non-campaign expansion-Altar of Despair, and it's nice. It beefs up the Overlord considerably with powerful treachery cards, 5 new monster types, dark relics, props, new effect tokens, etc. The heroes get 6 new characters, a new kind of potion, additional shop and treasure cards and several new skills.

@I can't EVER remember which one has the quest at the start where the whole level is caving in one piece at a time behind you - but that one is a blast.

it's the well of darkness with the special familiar for the OL the wraith who consume your fatigue every time he's touch you.

i'm agreed with your first reason. now i've Sob and i dont have tomb of ice and every time i read on the rulebook "if you dont have ToI" i fall in rage