Elder Dragon Highlander COC style?

By stagger lee, in CoC General Discussion

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html

This is a Magic The Gathering casual format that I think would lend itself very well COC style. Instead of "Legendary Creatures" the key would be Unique Characters. So for those not interested in decyphering Magic terms... 100 card highlander decks where your "general" dictates what faction your deck is. Neautral characters can only be played in a Neautral General's deck for example...

What do you think? Fun for casual!

A little difficult for CoC I believe since in MtG, the generals are usually multicolored such as Red/Green/Black. To get the same effect, you would need a character belonging to three factions simutaneously. You may need to make a few changes to allow for deck variety, or just go with single factions.

Kobu said:

A little difficult for CoC I believe since in MtG, the generals are usually multicolored such as Red/Green/Black. To get the same effect, you would need a character belonging to three factions simutaneously. You may need to make a few changes to allow for deck variety, or just go with single factions.

Yeah, the idea would need some tweaking. For instance; Nyarlathothep - The Crawling Chaos has steadfast for every faction. Would he count as multifaction? And how about Yig? Everyone will be wanting to be Yig. There are a lot of buts, ifs and maybes, but it sound like a fun idea!

Well on the plus, I think a mono-colored (or mono with Neutral factions) would work simply because of the smaller card pool. Magic has like 4,000 cards under it's belt and it would be impossible to really enjoy new formats if the game hadn't evolved as much as it has. Steadfast is tricky however. It would be very fun to have a Masks Highlander! :) As far as Yig, yeah he's pretty awesome, but I think if there was a "reserve" list for people getting together for a big event like GenCon, i could be avoided. That and as a casual format, there is really nothing stopping anyone from being creative. Just an idea, as I enjoy EDH in MTG so very much!

Well, the Idea seems really good to me :

Playing with 100 cards in a higlander might limit our possibilities, as the pool of card isn't that much large (Maybe 70 cards should be a good number).

The idea to avoid having the same général is great for local games.

The main objection is : How to translate the damage points in Magic in CoC ... ? We might change therules in something else. Maybe the général shall be a card in play, that obtain +2 Toughness or Invulnerability .... So this card should be played for free, but musn't got killed. Once he's dead, you lose.

There's only a probleme with GOO, as everybody will want to play Ithaqua, Yig or Tulzcha as a général. The GOO have high costs and high skills.So everybody will need to play bigger char (6 costs, 10 costs) or stuffs like GK or Mentor ...May we should propose something like this : Your général musn't cost more than 3.

In this case, the généal becomes a kind of flag which is pretty interesting to frag... Someone might need to have stuffs to protects him when committing.

Well there is definately ways to tweak the format, as it's a different game. That and EDH is primarily a multiplayer format, which doesn't work quite so well in COC. I do like the idea of highlander, and I love the idea of bigger decks as well. Resource domains would be a challange and manipulation of domains would be a huge strategy because of it. The General thing is definately an issue, and there are Legends in Magic that see a lot more popularity in the format due to the power levels involved. There are special rules in place to keep things from getting too out of hand (like banning certain cards), but due to the large card pool in MTG, there are many fun ways to build around just about any general without suffering if someone is playing with your favorite already. Perhaps make it 80 cards? Also, I think one of the costs to bringing out your general could be draining all of your domains so long as one of those domains pays for the card's "real" value entirely... that way it becomes a really big commitment to cast him/her.

COC multiplayer works pretty good. These rules can be found here - Maybe it can use some tweaks too, but they work great.