created items

By honKYkat73, in Descent Home Brews

Hey guys, I have made some items just for the hell of it. I haven't used them in the game yet.

spear.jpg

the spear was intended to fit between 1 handed and 2 handed weapons. I wanted to be cheap, because spear are compared to other weapons. I didn't give it an off hand bonus because I was aiming to push people into the direction of Spear/Shield, plus 2 handed weapons don't offer off hand bonuses for obvious reasons. I needed it to be 1 handed so heroes can use a shield, (didn't feel like making special rules for this).

goldspear.jpg

Here is a gold version again I tried to make it fit between the 1 and 2 handed, I also made copper and silver that follow a scale along with items in the game.

Well thats it for now. Let me know what you think.

Oh what the hell it didnt put up the pics....argh I feel like a dumb ass!!!

You have an extra slash and the end of the image URLs; that's probably why they're not showing up.

Removing an Off-Hand Bonus doesn't really stop dual-wielding, since you only get the Off-Hand Bonus from your off-hand weapon - as long as the spear is your main weapon, it makes no difference. And since there's very little reason ever to use anything but a Dagger or Morningstar as an off-hand weapon, and the generally weak nature of dual-wielding in Descent in general, I'm not sure it particularly matters whether it has an Off-Hand Bonus or not.

The surge abilities on the spear are improperly formatted (missing colons, should be "Pierce 1", not "+1 Pierce", and there's no number between "+" and "damage"). I'd be concerned that it is very close to being as good as the Sword, while costing less; seems difficult to justify ever taking the Sword instead.

The Spear of the Valkyries appears to be exactly the same as the Frost Axe, except one-handed and without the 2 free surges. That's kind of dull.

Antistone said:

You have an extra slash and the end of the image URLs; that's probably why they're not showing up.

Awesome thanks for the help there.

Removing an Off-Hand Bonus doesn't really stop dual-wielding, since you only get the Off-Hand Bonus from your off-hand weapon - as long as the spear is your main weapon, it makes no difference. And since there's very little reason ever to use anything but a Dagger or Morningstar as an off-hand weapon, and the generally weak nature of dual-wielding in Descent in general, I'm not sure it particularly matters whether it has an Off-Hand Bonus or not.

I wasn't really trying to stop it but to try and encourage shield use with out being forceful about it. You do make a good point.

The surge abilities on the spear are improperly formatted (missing colons, should be "Pierce 1", not "+1 Pierce", and there's no number between "+" and "damage"). I'd be concerned that it is very close to being as good as the Sword, while costing less; seems difficult to justify ever taking the Sword instead.

I noticed that after I saved it. Will be fixed in due time.

The Spear of the Valkyries appears to be exactly the same as the Frost Axe, except one-handed and without the 2 free surges. That's kind of dull.

The Spear of the Valkyries took a lot of time. I noticed with the gold 2 handed weapons they all gave bonus surges to make up for the lack of off weapon/shield use and they gave 2 abilities instead of 1 like the 1-handed weapons. So to make something that fit between the two types (1 1/2 handed like a bastard sword) the spear had to give a little. If you compare it to the other gold weapons Its better in dealing damage to target than a 1 handed weapon and more versatile than the 2 handed which is what I was again aiming for.

goldclub.jpg

widowscharm.jpg

gnomepistol.jpg

ok these are some other I have made. Again I can not see the pic myself for some odd reason.

You know, I did some quick checking, and ImageShack actually gives you a bunch of linking options right there on the page, and one of them (combined with Steve-O's instructions, which I know you read) works perfectly. And when you try one, you can instantly see the results right there in your browser, before posting. Even if you have zero technical knowledge and couldn't possibly guess which one is correct, you could easily try them all until one of them works.

I can't even see the links with the extra slashes that Antistone is apparently able to find and edit to get the pictures. If you are using imageshack, I would also suggest cutting and pasting the links it provides into a new tab or browser window to make sure it loads properly. If it loads there it should work here. If you're using some other file host, you can still do the same litmus test with whatever links it echoes back to you after uploading.

Thanks a bunch guys, very helpful and I am sure you guys deal with this kind of ignorance a lot. Ok now lets do this again

clubru.jpg c

gnomepistol.jpg

goldclub.jpg

Well there we go, I dont have time to tell you the reasons behind why the are what they are will have to hit that up later after work.

Spiked Club: As a main-hand weapon, it's strictly worse than the dagger, but costs more. As an off-hand weapon, it's (almost) strictly better than the Morningstar, but costs less. That's unbalanced either way.

Gnome Pistol: Is that maybe supposed to be gold, rather than copper? The strongest official Breath weapon (Dragon's Breath, silver) does about the same damage, requires 2 hands, and is a rune.

S[c]epter of Light: Misspelled. It's debatable how much Stun is worth, but it's generally not worth a lot (especially on gold weapons) because most monsters die in one hit anyway. And it's less useful on melee weapons than on distance weapons, because the entire point is to save actions.

The Scepter of Light does less damage than most (maybe all) silver-level melee weapons. That's not particularly out-of-line with the penalty levied against magic weapons with the Stun ability...but on the other hand, the magic weapons with Stun (apart from the Word of Vaal) are generally considered to be among the weakest weapons in the game, so I'm not sure you want to emulate them.

On the other, other hand, doing more damage isn't terribly important on a gold-level weapon either, because, again, most monsters die in one hit. So I don't know, maybe it's fine.

Antistone said:

Spiked Club: As a main-hand weapon, it's strictly worse than the dagger, but costs more. As an off-hand weapon, it's (almost) strictly better than the Morningstar, but costs less. That's unbalanced either way.

Gnome Pistol: Is that maybe supposed to be gold, rather than copper? The strongest official Breath weapon (Dragon's Breath, silver) does about the same damage, requires 2 hands, and is a rune.

S[c]epter of Light: Misspelled. It's debatable how much Stun is worth, but it's generally not worth a lot (especially on gold weapons) because most monsters die in one hit anyway. And it's less useful on melee weapons than on distance weapons, because the entire point is to save actions.

The Scepter of Light does less damage than most (maybe all) silver-level melee weapons. That's not particularly out-of-line with the penalty levied against magic weapons with the Stun ability...but on the other hand, the magic weapons with Stun (apart from the Word of Vaal) are generally considered to be among the weakest weapons in the game, so I'm not sure you want to emulate them.

On the other, other hand, doing more damage isn't terribly important on a gold-level weapon either, because, again, most monsters die in one hit. So I don't know, maybe it's fine.

Spiked Club: I was focused more on the off hand use since neither the morningstar or the dagger make good main weapons in the first place and I don't think anyone would use them as such. But I see the point on the off hand use and will work on it.

Gnome Pistol : No it is intended to be silver actually, being in a rush earlier caused me to error. But as a silver it actaully does less damage, has a shorter range (although its a fixed range) than other silver ranged weapons and comparing it to the Dragons Breath it does not offer any effect tokens, but I don't think that counters the 2 hand and rune, so what if I add a stealth die to the mix?

Scepter of Light : Nope that the correct spelling. I was thinking on the lines of why are there no off-hand style weapons as treasures. This goes along the line that the morningstar and dagger, IMO, never be used a a primary weapon when you have other weapons for that purpose. So why not treasure items for them. So on that point I wanted it to do less damage to push for the off hand use, but still be effective as a primary if needed. I gave it Stun as an off-hand bonus because I have had that rare occasion when I hit a monster and had horrid rolls on damage and not kill the bugger just to watch it run off the next turn and kill a hero. I have tested this one out and it worked well as a primary on the tougher red monsters. Plus I hate the fact that you don't get to use the specials abilities on the other gold weapons because you almost always kill the monsters, this makes me sad.

Thank you very much for you input and I will try to fix some of the issues.

Spear: Too much like the Sword. I think a much more interesting variation would be to change it to

~: Pierce 1

~~: +1 Damage

@150 Gold

This would fill an unique place in the shop deck.

Spear of the Valkyries: Another ridiculously powerful Gold Weapon... whoop de do... I think it would be a lot more interesting (and in line with the 'spear' flavor) to replace all its abilities with "Reach, Pierce 5", and otherwise keep it the same.

Spiked Club: Everything Antistone has said is correct. We don't need this. The whole off-hand thing only really works as a mechanic if the cost/attack/bonus are all roughly equal. Plus, if the item is just inferior/superior to an existing item, it's pretty boring. Why not replace the surge ability with stun? That would keep it in flavor with the club thing, and do something cool that other melee weapons haven't. That way, it becomes the kind of thing you might keep around to attack with from time to time.

Gnome Pistol: I really like this design, although I echo Antistone's comment that it is a smidge too powerful when compared to other breath weapons. I think the point that it becomes too powerful is when you regularly have enough surges to pay for the ability twice. You could balance this pretty easily, though, by changing it to "~~: +1 Damage and Pierce 2". Cool card, though.

Scepter of Light: Off-hand bonuses are hard to play with on gold treasures because the only way to make it worthwhile is to have another (one-handed, melee) Gold treasure to use as your primary weapon. And by 'another', I mean, the other, since there are only two. Many maps don't have any gold chests at all, much less two. Also, as Antistone has said, abilities like Stun usually don't work on gold treasures because you usually kill the monster in one hit. If you want to make a melee Stun weapon worthwhile at gold-level, though, I would tweak it to fill a space that all the heavy-hitters don't yet. What about replacing its damage boosting with a natural Sweep? This would still make it usable on hordes of little critters, and also useful in a pinch to Stun those later-level nasties. To be fair, in terms of damage, it would only be comparable to a copper weapon, but Sweep is pretty beastly.

In general, interesting work. Nice.

-pw

Good work, overall (with Gnome's Pistol needing some fixing), but for some reason I can't see Spear and Valkyrie Spear...

Well I just picked up RtL and JitD, I went through the cards and noticed a lot of items that I wanted to do or had simular ideas in doing have been done. But still that will not stop me from trying things out. I again thank you all for the responses and will scrap some ideas and fix others. I will post them in another thread. Also I would like to know where everyone gets the awesome pictures for the heroes they make, Antistone I love some of, if not all, of the ones you did.

honKYkat73 said:

Scepter of Light : Nope that the correct spelling. I was thinking on the lines of why are there no off-hand style weapons as treasures. This goes along the

"Scepter" is the correct spelling. The card says "Septer."

I think most of these cards looks fine at first glance. I defer to Antistone on what the average in any given category should be, but none of them seem overly broken to me, at any rate. My only complaint about the Gnome Pistol is the implication that gnomes exist. I rather enjoy the fact that those useless, techno-gadgety comic relief engines haven't made an appearance in Terrinoth as yet.

Steve-O said:

My only complaint about the Gnome Pistol is the implication that gnomes exist. I rather enjoy the fact that those useless, techno-gadgety comic relief engines haven't made an appearance in Terrinoth as yet.

Amen to that.