Treasure Maps

By Baeldeth, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm running a Sea of Blood game currently (Captain bones and the Devious weapon!)

And I'm just a little confused regarding treasure maps. The book says it's possible to basically find the four map pieces more than once.. but the best I can find is two rumours that give you a treasure map piece each, and one rumour that when you complete gives you 4 map pieces.

Is there another way to find treasure map pieces? How do players get relics, that admittedly has me confused too.

Thanks!

Whenever the players successfully complete all three levels of a dungeon (whether normal or rumor), they get a treasure map piece.

Karui_Kage said:

Whenever the players successfully complete all three levels of a dungeon (whether normal or rumor), they get a treasure map piece.

Unless they already have all four.

They discard all four when they dig up a buried treasure at an X, and they can then start collecting the pieces again.

Baeldeth said:

How do players get relics, that admittedly has me confused too.

Relics are only used in specific quests. Soulbiter is only in one quest from the base game, for example. The Crown of the Elder Kings is attainable in the Road to Legend campaign. I don't recall off the top of my head if Sea of Blood had a new relic or not, however, none of the old relics will appear in Sea of Blood. You need to play the appropriate vanilla quests to use Relics.

If you sit down and look at the Relics, you'll quickly realize they're horrendously broken. Soulbiter, IIRC, lets you double the amount of damage being dealt by the attack for two surges. Remember that all surge abilities are designed to stack if you can afford to pay for them more than once.

Yeah.

With the amount of surges its possible to roll at Gold level, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to one-shot the avatar with Soulbiter. Relics weren't designed to see general use. The only thing that keeps them in check is the quest-specific rules of the quests in which they appear.