Why won't I die?

By Marximus, in Death Angel

I've played Death Angel and really love it. Huzzah FFG! However, I have yet to lose a game - whether solo, 3, 4, 5 or 6 players. I've played several games where not a single Marine was killed. What gives? Initially, we were misinterpreting the rules (e.g.: the whole swarm moves versus just genestealers with the tail symbol; a die face with a "3" and a skull does not equal 3 kills) but I'm reasonably confident we are now playing correctly and yet...we just don't seem to lose.

Again, I love the game but without the threat of a TPK, I'm afraid it will lose its appeal. Should I expect to lose occasionally (at all)? Is it likely that I'm still misinterpreting the rules?

Marximus said:

Again, I love the game but without the threat of a TPK, I'm afraid it will lose its appeal. Should I expect to lose occasionally (at all)? Is it likely that I'm still misinterpreting the rules?

I'm 3-2 in five games, 4 games with 3 teams, once with 4. Most Marines I've had survive is 5 in the first game. Second game, all Marines were dead in Location 2! Last three games have seen 5 of 20 Marines survive.

Rechecking the rules isn't a bad idea. I think most kills take place with a GS attacking from behind, so can't use Support tokens. 3 GS swarm is 66% kill front or back (only a 4 or 5 misses). Flanking can be a pain in the ass, especially if you just used your Move + Activate this turn, so can't change facing for another two turns. I would think with 6 players, the major spawn being a 5 GS swarm would leave some GS on the board. Hard to imagine all Marines being in range and facing just the right way to whittle that down, though Zael can do it best.

I agree with Dam that you might want to re-read the rules just in case there's something you missed. I've played over 40 games so far, all solo, and I'm winning slightly more than half. And even when I win I usually lose at least one marine. Also, if you guys are choosing the best teams to play...maybe you should try assigning your teams randomly to add some interest. It's more challenging but in my opinion it adds much to the game.

Marximus said:

Initially, we were misinterpreting the rules (e.g.: the whole swarm moves versus just genestealers with the tail symbol; a die face with a "3" and a skull does not equal 3 kills) but I'm reasonably confident we are now playing correctly and yet...we just don't seem to lose.

The whole Genestealer swarm moving is *not* a misinterpretation. Under Moving to Adjacent Positions and Flanking , the Rules of Play state that "... every swarm that contains this type of Genestealer [will move]. "

Kerry

I've played a few games and won just one of them, but I think I had 4 Space Marines alive when it happened, so I know it's possible to have a really easy win.

But if you're winning consistently, you're probably playing it wrong.

When defending, are you making sure that you're rolling higher than the number of Genestealers in the swarm? Are you remembering that you can't use Support Tokens to re-roll when defending an attack coming from behind?

Are you making sure that you don't use the same action card two turns in a row?

Are you spawning the correct number of Genestealers when you draw an Event card?

DagobahDave said:

Hold the phone - what was that? Okay. Now I see what the problem was. Thanks - now I can start dying!

Hehe, you were doing: Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack with all teams turn after turn partido_risa.gif ?

First game, 2 players, lost at 2nd room.

Second game, 1 player, lost at the start room...

Third game, 1 player, won with 2 survivors (Claudio spam attack-defensive stance-attack-defensive stance really works)

Knuckles Eki said:

Third game, 1 player, won with 2 survivors (Claudio spam attack-defensive stance-attack-defensive stance really works)

Heroic Charge is awesome no doubt, even if I am a bit biased after Claudio died during turn 1 in the Yellow team's first game. Haven't found Defensive Stance that useful so far. For one, you need to use a Support token for it to work (unlike say Green's Block), though DS is a Support action in itself, which also means the attack can only come from the front. Personally prefer Sergeant Lorenzo in that case, he can kill stealers while defending, especially from the front, when coupled with a couple of tokens, he can clear off a 3-5 GS swarm on his own, or at least thin it down and survive.

Marximus said:

DagobahDave said:

Hold the phone - what was that? Okay. Now I see what the problem was. Thanks - now I can start dying!

Haha, yep that'll do it. These space marines like to vary what they do. Doing the same thing two turns in a row is sooooo boring, even in life and death situations. :)

First game with correct rules: Lost one Marine in first location. Got him back with lucky rescue event card draw in second location. Lost three Marines in final location but still managed to win. Now that was more like it. Thanks for the rules help!