Corruption.

By Ticonius, in Fan Fiction

Posting this here as there are more readers. Shameless, I know.This will hopefully be a series of small entries leading up to the main story that I'm still working on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++ Entry begins. +++
+++ Log date: 236.M41. +++
+++ Author: Adept Berham Wert. +++
+++ Intercepted at junction KPR-122, imperial space. +++
+++ All affected personnel interrogated and any and all relevant forbidden knowledge purged.
+++

Username: rJTtks1205
Password: ***************

Welcome, Inquisitor.

Blessed be the Throne.

Be ever vigilant!

+++ Downloading files to hard-drive. +++

+++ Finished. +++

+++ Filename: xS235nameless can now be accessed. +++

Audio recording and transcription... starting.
Date: 322.235.M41.
Subject: Adept Berham Wert, lexograph grade three, hub eight point nine, survivor of the destruction of Hive Gurnam.

Interrogator (I) (henceforth known as I(1)): Tell us, with your own words, what happened?
Adept Berham Wert (henceforth known as BW): I don't know what to say. They came without warning. Through the walls. Screeching like banshees, Me and my fellow adepts all sat at our benches, as we're told, until the klaxon sounds. It never did. I saw my brothers get slaughtered, able to do nothing.
Subject shakes uncontrollably, unable to continue. Audio-recording continues three minutes and twenty-seven seconds later.
I(1): Please, drink your hot cocoa. It is admirably delicious.
BW: Thank you.
Silence for thirteen seconds. The microphone picks up slurping noises.
I(1): Do continue, please.
BW: They came through the walls. I work at the eighth floor. I don't know how they did it, but they did. Enormous. Eventually people could not sit still any longer. Panic erupted us all into motion. I couldn't control my bladder. I...
The subject trails off, fidgeting with his clothing. Silence for eighteen seconds .
BW: There were not many. Only three or four but they were huge. Enormous. They slew Belherem like he was a child. Threw him out the window as a side-note, like a dead insect. His eyes locked onto mine as his soul left him to join the Emperor.
The subject breaks down and cries. Audio-recording ends.

+++ File ends. Delete file? +++

y

+++ File deleted and omitted. +++

Logging out...

Goodbye, Inquisitor.

Emperor's light doth shine upon you.

I of course forgot to mention that I am very open to constructive criticism or suggestions as to how the story should proceed.

Thank you!

Ha! he wet himself. but seriously I like provides lots of suspense, i can't stop wondering who killed that dude's buddies

The sound of rotors. The smell of burning flesh. The sensation of ground shaking. I am placed on a world dying. It is dying a shuddering, heaving death. I am to procure a single item - a person, actually. If that person does not come back to the guncutter I need not return. I have thirty-two minutes to do this before the planet is scheduled for summary destruction by the fleet in orbit. My legs are pumping beneath me and my breath is gushing out in white around me. It is freezing and yet I am only clothed in a leather jacket and a woolen shirt beneath. My gloves are black leather and my pants are of some fabric unknown to me - it's warm, but not enough. Not today. Snow is falling and so is the temperature as the world is disrupting beneath my feet. I hop over the trunk of a ground vehicle, its inhabitants frozen in perpetual fear as the cold hit them unknowingly. The beams of frost are of unknown origin; I've only been told to stay clear of them. My legs are still pumping beneath me when I force-tackle my way in through a glass door and into the ground floor of a vast complex of chromed steel and glass. I look at some kind of orientation tablet and I am utterly confused. Doctor Helyena Weemble. Why are you so important they keep a planet from being expunged because of you?

My fingers trace the tablet for that name and finally I see "Dr. Weemble, H.". Twelve floors. The lifts have stopped working, their otherwise green buttons flashing red. I look at the stairs and sigh.

Eighteen minutes to go - I will never make it. I tackle my way through a white door, my shoulder almost breaking. I feel it crack beneath my jacket.
I see a woman in her mid-forties in a white lab coat standing over what seem to be sample jugs.
"You!" I say, pointing, panting heavily, "Are coming with me!"
She looks up at me and I instantly realize I am dead. She will not go anywhere.
"I can't - all my research!" she says, almost beginning to cry.
"Fed it! I don't care about your research, neither does the Imperial Navy in orbit! They care about you! Now come on, woman!"
"Can you hear that? Outside? It's a world dying. It's your world dying around you - and you and I will be dead as well unless we hurry."
I look at my watch. Sixteen minutes. I am dead.
"I..." she begins, her lips quivering.
"We need to move. Now. Or we're both dead. Bring those jugs, they'll be helpful - trust me."
She looks stupidly at the jugs and pick one up in each hand.
"I guess you're right."
"Come on, woman! Now!"
She starts walking toward me and I jog up to her and start pulling her toward a walkway that joins the two parts of the building together. I look down at a glass roof, covering what was the cafeteria of the building.
"This is going to hurt me more than you, my lady." I say, bowing. I then grab her coat and pivot myself over the edge, with her back to my chest. What seems like an impossible amount of time airbourne my back finally touches glass - it doesn't shatter. My shoulder and back explode with pain and I can barely think. My chest gets pushed in and I feel a couple of my ribs break. My breath is pushed out of my lungs and I hear her sobbing. We're gliding toward the floor, the cracked pane giving off crackling sounds.
"That... hurt, lady. You might need to run by yourself." I say, through gritted teeth as we're slowly gliding toward what is certain to be my doom - my right arm is cramped up and I can't feel my other arm.
She twists around and looks in my face.
"No. If you're not going, I'm not."
I curse and try to look at my watch - twelve minutes. No way.
"Alright, woman. I'll come."

Stumbling and shambling out of the building, my left foot broken from the recent fall, I try to make her run ahead of me.
"I'm coming, trust me - I'm right behind you! Just run! See that gun-cutter? Go there! Run!"
Nine minutes.
She starts running. Although she keeps looking back her legs are pumping beneath her, her breath white.
I keep shambling after her, my entire body wracking in pain. My left arm is completely useless and my right held close to my chest. My chest is heaving, my lungs trying to compensate for my pain by breathing more - it's not helping. My body is shooting adrenaline into my veins to keep me moving - it's hard, but I keep going because she keeps looking at me. Like if she's going to turn back. I can't allow that. I wave my right arm at her, to pick up the pace. She doesn't look back. Not even once more. Six minutes. My legs finally give way beneath me. I curse again. I try to get up, my right arm trying to gain purchase on a slippery hood of a ground vehicle. My fingers are broken too. I wince in pain. I get up on my right leg and start hopping forward. My face must be covered in ice as I am freezing. The gun-cutter's engines are revving, I can hear them. I look up only to see my wife looking back at me. I smile.
I press the button on my micro-bead.
"I love you" I say, through gritted teeth.
"Please, Seth, please!"
I look at my watch, hearing my beautiful wife's voice. Four minutes.
I try to take a step, but my left foot is swollen and useless. I fall down again. My wife is crying, I can hear her. Pleading me to get up. I can hear the servitor running pre-flight checks and my fellow Acolytes trying to get my wife to realize what is happening. I kneel down on both knees and look up at her. My face must be swelling as well, as I can no longer look through my right eye. Must be all those doors. My knees are freezing and I can barely feel my right leg. My left foot is throbbing with pain. I look around me, at the world quaking in its destruction.
"Tell Yulinna and Gwen I love them both." I say before ripping the micro-bead out of my ear. I see them controlling my wife from opening the hatch. Two minutes. I am merely seventy five metres from the gun-cutter but the servitor has locked it down. She's beating the servitor and they're wrestling with her for her weapon. I smile. Always a wild one, that. I sit back on my haunches, wincing with the pain. I fall over to my right, leaning against the carborator of the ground vehicle next to me.
"What a way to die, huh?" I ask no-one, hissing from the pain in my right arm. I hop into a better position, as to better watch my own demise. I look up into the sky, trying to look through the clouds. I see distant bright lights flashing. Thirty-six seconds. I guess it was impact, or they're just eager. I smile. I see the lances hit, very far away from me. It's quite unreal. My demise, so close, yet so totally unrealistic. I smile again. Hope is the last thing leaving your body, so they tell me. I have had little hope ever since I landed on this planet. Ever since the dreams. I look up, straight up and my left eye sees the lance that is aimed at the complex behind me. I wince and try to cover my right ear with my arm, hissing in pain, as the enormous blast reverberates over the landscape. A guttural, tearing sound. This is what it feels like. Armageddon. I look over to the complex, over my left shoulder - the beam is cutting closer to me, it's planet-destroying capabilities soon ripping me to shreds. I close my eyes, thinking of my two daughters. Oh, so beautiful. Six and three years old. Blonde hair, blue eyes. So alike their mother. The ripping sound is so close now. I don't cover my ear anymore. I just relax. A small hand holds mine as I open my eyes again, looking into those of an angel. A small, brown-haired girl is looking deep into my soul and I try to smile at her.
"I saw what you did to that woman." she says.
"You saved her."
I smile and close my eyes again. I am in too much pain to talk.

The light is shining through my eye-lids now, the ground shaking. I feel sleepy, almost falling asleep before the warmth hits me, that incredible warmth. It feels like home. It feels like it's meant to happen. Her hand never leaves mine.