Put to the Question

By Seznal, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

One Player has Jaime attached with Milk of the poppy than his controller plays Compelled by the rock to move the attachment to Eddard. Is it possible to cancel Compelled by the rock with Put to the question?

Thanks for answering.

I believe that the answer is "yes," because of the awkward way that Compelled by the Rock is worded. It states that you choose two characters first, thereby "targeting" them, which can be cancelled by PTTQ.

It seems awkward though, because the purpose of Compelled by the Rock is to target the attachment, but as written, I believe that it targets both characters and the attachment. I could be wrong, just my thoughts..

jmccarthy said:

It seems awkward though, because the purpose of Compelled by the Rock is to target the attachment

A common misconception in this game. Because the rules define the "target" of an effect by use of the word "choose," effects can have targets that are not directly acted upon and/or they can act directly upon things that are not targets. The "purpose" of Compelled by the Rock is to move an attachment from one character to another. It can do that just fine without ever actually targeting the attachment.

As always, you look at WHAT is "chosen" to determine the target. Compelled by the Rock chooses (and therefore targets) 2 characters rather than the attachment that is moved and directly affected by the resolution of the effect. Put to the Question only requires that a target of an effect be a unique (and non-neutral) character or location. It does not require that said unique character be the only target. Compelled by the Rock fits those restrictions, so it can be canceled by PTTQ.

So it would also work if the second target would be Ghost for example, because I can use Put to the question for Jaime alone am I right?

Seznal said:

So it would also work if the second target would be Ghost for example, because I can use Put to the question for Jaime alone am I right

Correct. You only need one target to meet the unique/non-neutral restrictions, no matter how many targets there are.

This also means that since the event "chooses" the characters. Attachments with immune to events can be moved, but you can't choose a character with immunity regardless of the attachments on the character.

bloodycelt said:

This also means that since the event "chooses" the characters. Attachments with immune to events can be moved, but you can't choose a character with immunity regardless of the attachments on the character.

Well, no. Not exactly.

You are correct that since the event targets the characters, you cannot choose "immune to events" characters as either the "donor" or "recipient" of an attachment through the event.

HOWEVER, if you have an attachment that is "immune to events" itself that is on a character that is not immune, while you can target the character it is attached to, when the event tries to affect the attachment directly by moving it, it will fail. The immune attachment will ignore the event. It's the same reason "immune to events" characters are not affected by events that try to "do stuff" to them without actually targeting them (like Westeros Bleeds). Attachments with immune to events CANNOT be moved with this event.