Daario Naharis question

By Ladrim, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Can anyone explain me how do you resolve dominance phase when you play Daario Naharis? Count the total combined STR of all of player standing characters, and add 1 to their total for each gold token in the gold pool BEFORE discarding 1 gold from any player's gold pool? Or do you discard 1 gold from any player and THEN count the total amount of STR , gold etc...?

Daario Naharis: At the beginning of the dominance phase, discard 1 gold from any player's gold pool or discard Daario Naharis from play.

Ladrim said:

Can anyone explain me how do you resolve dominance phase when you play Daario Naharis? Count the total combined STR of all of player standing characters, and add 1 to their total for each gold token in the gold pool BEFORE discarding 1 gold from any player's gold pool? Or do you discard 1 gold from any player and THEN count the total amount of STR , gold etc...?

Daario Naharis: At the beginning of the dominance phase, discard 1 gold from any player's gold pool or discard Daario Naharis from play.

Dominance Phase

1. Framework Action Dominance begins

Passive effects like Daario triggered

2. Framework Actions Reward Dominance

Now you Count The strngth of standing Characters and the Goldpool

Phase 5: Dominance (NEW)
At the beginning of the dominance phase, all players count the total combined STR of all of their standing characters, and add 1 to this total for each gold token in their gold pool.

So counting gold and STR is at step 3 of Dominance Phase Begins

Passives are at step 4.

Can anyone confirm that counting gold and STR is done at the Reward Dominance Framework Action? (So Daario passive goes before counting gold)

Thanks.

Great analysis with the sources you have Masi! You're just missing one thing (or possibly one source). In the game FAQ, they give a flowchart of all the various action windows. In that, the "Dominance Phase Begins" and "Reward Dominance" actions are in two separate windows. So counting gold/standing STR is not in Step 3 of the window where "Dominance Phase Begins." Rather, it is in Step 3 of its own window (the next window). The FAQ provides this level of detail that the basic rules do not.

As you say, Daario's passive happens in Step 4 of the "Dominance Phase Begins" window. It's just that counting gold/standing STR happens in Step 3 of the NEXT window in the Dominance phase (the window "Reward Dominance" gets all to itself).

Daario's passive does indeed happen before gold/standing STR is counted and Dominance is awarded. He does snake a Dominance point away from a player.

ktom said:

Great analysis with the sources you have Masi! You're just missing one thing (or possibly one source). In the game FAQ, they give a flowchart of all the various action windows. In that, the "Dominance Phase Begins" and "Reward Dominance" actions are in two separate windows. So counting gold/standing STR is not in Step 3 of the window where "Dominance Phase Begins." Rather, it is in Step 3 of its own window (the next window). The FAQ provides this level of detail that the basic rules do not.

As you say, Daario's passive happens in Step 4 of the "Dominance Phase Begins" window. It's just that counting gold/standing STR happens in Step 3 of the NEXT window in the Dominance phase (the window "Reward Dominance" gets all to itself).

Daario's passive does indeed happen before gold/standing STR is counted and Dominance is awarded. He does snake a Dominance point away from a player.

I already did my not-so-great analysis with both, FAQ and Rulebook... sad.gif

I just understood that the part of counting gold+STR happens at "Dominance phase begins" framework, (playing passives and responses here triggered by "Wining Dominance") and then, just claiming Power at "Reward Dominance" framework, because of the rulebook text, (that should be changed to say "During dominance phase" and not "At the begining..." to avoid mistakes like mine...)

Thanks anyway! xD