The Hopeless Gamer reviews Space Hulk: Death Angel

By pwvogt, in Death Angel

How many times did you play the game before writing the review? I think you just got lucky with your solo game. So far I've played four solo games and won one of them, so it's far from simply dancing over tyranid corpses. Multiplayer games with minimal communication (i.e. not agreeing on what everybody should do) seem to be even more difficult due to people choosing too many of the "wrong" cards or disturbing the formation with a careless move.

And no, I don't consider myself a bad player. There are just so many cards that can screw up your formation and your carefully considered plans - and one genestealer getting a lucky move to your rear can spell bad luck for the entire team. And I seem to roll a lot of zeros, so even one stealer is a huge threat (there's a 1/3 chance that it kills a normal space marine without support tokens!).

My games seem to have been characterized by a domino effect: one important marine dies and the entire formation starts to crumble. For example, losing Gideon or Lorenzo or any of the heavy weapons can really change the course of the game. Especially Gideon seems to be my stop gap in many games, holding off waves and waves of stealers while the rest try to fend the others off.

Are you sure you have the rules right this time? My first oversight was forgetting the rule about not using the same action twice in a row.

It's not a bad review, but I think you should have played some more before writing it. It's nice that you use examples in your review, but only two games may give a wrong impression about the game. At the moment, according to your review, it seems that the game may be too easy for SH fans (as you state yourself - SH fans want the game to be difficult!), and I'm not sure whether you are endorsing your skills as a player or criticizing that the game is too easy.

I also wrote a review of the game, after playing like six of them. You can find it here:

www.grotorderly.blogspot.com in September tab, for those who will see this post later on.

;)