Starting Skills

By Etherwind, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Very quick question.

I seem to remember that if you receive a trained skill from both your background and career, it synergises somehow, for example giving you a +10 to it.

Am I imagining this, or is it actually in the rules? If it is in the rules, anyone got a page reference? Thanks!

That's the rule for WFRP but I use it in my games as a House Rule, seems only fair and makes sense, howeevr if you double up by starting skills, home word, back ground package ect. you just loose the extra skills, kinda sucks but that's how the rules currently are.

That does suck.

I don't see very many instances where homeworld (or background package) skills would be 'lost' due to career skill overlap. The homeworld packages don't give you Trained status in anything - they just let you treat the listed Advanced skills as if they were really a Basic skill (you roll against half the linked attribute). If you then get that same skill is listed with your career, it's at Trained status, so you only gain from it. And the backgrounds give you Trained status in skills you don't get with the base career (barring the Void Merchant one, which gives you C.Lore (Imperium), so there shouldn't be any overlap.

I seem to recall one of the homeworlds actually giving you a skill and not just making it Basic. I'll have to look at the books when I get home. Either way, I think the chance of overlapping skills is rare so there is no need to create a rule for it.

Nobles start with Literacy and SL (High Gothic), Mind Cleansed start with Decieve and Intimidate.

A couple of the individual home worlds also give Trained in a skill to start.