Old Newbie

By SyrioForel, in A Game of Thrones LCG

Hey all -

I started playing aGoT when it was first released years ago. During that time it was a CCG. So all my cards have the black border. I understand that the game is currently a LCG (just got back into the swing of the game). My question here is do I have to start all over and rebuy everything again? Also what are the main differences between the CCG and the LCG. Thanks. Oh also anyone live in Oregon who plays....

I'm pretty sure you can download the rules somewhere on FFG's website.

Hold on ... (looks around) ... here's a link:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&esem=4

I actually picked up both the CCG and the LCG a few months ago; the gist of the rules hasn't really changed. They've added some steps here and there. A lot of the cards are reprints from various sets. And there's more of a bent toward multiplayer rather than 2-player.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I see you mentioned white/black bordered cards. Who in a sane mind had the idea to "upgrade" to white borders? I always cry a bit in myself when I open a chapter pack and it's not from the Clash of Arms block :(

Does anyone have any idea what was FFG's reasoning for this change?

trumpets said:

Does anyone have any idea what was FFG's reasoning for this change?

I really don't know. Two guesses:

1) To differentiate the LCG from the CCG, and to visualize that the LCG is a new product.

2) Because it looks better.

SyrioForel said:

Hey all -

I started playing aGoT when it was first released years ago. During that time it was a CCG. So all my cards have the black border. I understand that the game is currently a LCG (just got back into the swing of the game). My question here is do I have to start all over and rebuy everything again? Also what are the main differences between the CCG and the LCG. Thanks. Oh also anyone live in Oregon who plays....

If you want to play in tournaments you are going to have to buy the LCG cards. Only a small amount of cards from the CCG days are legal in the LCG (only ccg cards which are reprinted exactly in the LCG are legal).

The main differences between the LCG and CCG are the border color of the cards and distribution method. LCG cards are fixed in each pack so there is nothing random.

Hey SyrioForel! I'm not sure if we met, but I used to play in the Portland, OR area around 2005/06 (a little before Winter Edition). I've moved to NYC, but I believe there are players in the Seattle area, and I wouldn't be surprised if a local meta is somewhere in Portland. Try posting in the Metagame thread.

As for the new cards/distribution, the CCG cards are very compatible with the LCG cards in terms of (friendly) game play, but CCG cards are not considered legal for "standard format" tournaments. Generally speaking, there are a lot of cool mechanics in the LCG, and the six major houses are represented. Given that the transition to LCG is still fairly recent, the cardpool isn't quite as large as it was in the CCG days (depending on when you played), but I think you'll enjoy it.

Also, I heard from someone that the reason FFG switched to white borders was to give LCG a unique/distinguishable look from the CCG. So I think it was a branding issue. The first block of the LCG was originally planned for the CCG, and that's why it still has the black borders.

We should connect, Syrio. I'm traveling out to Portland soon and will have some downtown and I'd be happy to meet up for some games.

I know about a year ago there were two players in Portland at least but I struggle to remember their names. I think Rings might remember their FFG IDs. Hopefully they still read the forums as they were both nice people.

LaughingTree said:

I know about a year ago there were two players in Portland at least but I struggle to remember their names. I think Rings might remember their FFG IDs. Hopefully they still read the forums as they were both nice people.

Dave and...grrr...it is right on the tip of my tongue. I know his daugther's names (they were named after moons of Saturn I think). Starts with a C...

Anyways, I have fell out of touch since moving away, and they were slowing down. They did play at the Lannisport tourney I ran, but that is 16 months ago now!

rings said:

LaughingTree said:

Dave and...grrr...it is right on the tip of my tongue. I know his daugther's names (they were named after moons of Saturn I think). Starts with a C...

Anyways, I have fell out of touch since moving away, and they were slowing down. They did play at the Lannisport tourney I ran, but that is 16 months ago now!

Dave and Patrick?

Yes! I was thinking Binder though, which he went by more.