Threat tokens and chests

By Ringarin, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

When the players open a chest does the overlord gain threat tokens when the players get conquest tokens? Also. I ran a quest tonight. Altar of Despair or something I think. Defending the temple for a cetrain amount of turns and trying to kill the glyphs. One of the chests rewards didn't list an amount of conquest it simply said conquest tokens without a number. Does anyone know what's supposed to be there?

Ringarin said:

When the players open a chest does the overlord gain threat tokens when the players get conquest tokens? Also. I ran a quest tonight. Altar of Despair or something I think. Defending the temple for a cetrain amount of turns and trying to kill the glyphs. One of the chests rewards didn't list an amount of conquest it simply said conquest tokens without a number. Does anyone know what's supposed to be there?

The OL gets threat from his curses first. He's even allowed to use that threat to pay for a trap card on the chest. As near as I can tell, this means the OL technically gets his threat before the chest has been opened, since all trap (chest) cards trigger off the chest opening. After curses have been distributed and any trap has been resolved, then everything else - including Conquest - is handed out.

As for the quest in question, the first place I'd check is the FAQ. The second place I'd look is the "Rules Questions" link down at the bottom of the page.

Ok, understand that part. Just wondering if the overlord gets threat from when the heros get conquest tokens from chests. The guy I learned from thinks you do, but he sometimes misses rules.

Ringarin said:

Ok, understand that part. Just wondering if the overlord gets threat from when the heros get conquest tokens from chests. The guy I learned from thinks you do, but he sometimes misses rules.

Why would he think that? Heroes gaining conquest does not cause the overlord to gain threat under any circumstances that I'm aware of.

A chest might contain curses and conquest tokens - or either alone, or neither. They're unrelated.

Just found it. I think he was getting the threat from the curses. I looked under the curse effects, not the treasure chest receive a curse entry. Makes sense now.