Crafting Hot shot ammo packs?

By Radomo, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Anyone have any thoughts on creating hot shot ammo packs from standard las packs or overcharge packs?

Also, are hot shots rechargeable like standard packs, or are they one shot and then useless?

Radomo said:

Anyone have any thoughts on creating hot shot ammo packs from standard las packs or overcharge packs?

Also, are hot shots rechargeable like standard packs, or are they one shot and then useless?

I don't know about manufacturing them, but it would be fairly reasonable to expect them to be rechargeable. They're merely charge packs with a hella high power transfer rate.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Gotta go with Brother Proteus on this one: can't think of a reason why they shouldn't be rechargeable.

Macharias the Mendicant said:

Gotta go with Brother Proteus on this one: can't think of a reason why they shouldn't be rechargeable.

Because, in the process of transferring such a high amount of energy, the internal components burn out and make it worthless after the first shot? That's how they're described in Gaunt's Ghosts, after all.

If you want to make them one-shot items that cant be recharged because you feel that the "technology" involved burns out after use, that can certainly be the case in your . Bt woulf you then allow someone with the relevant skills to "repair" them?

As I don't find them particularly powerful items or ripe for abuse, I'd be inclined to allow someone to recharge them simply because it seems easier to me that way. Besides, one of the benefits of Las weapon is the ubiquitous nature of the ammo/power sources. I think it's fair to extend that all charge packs.

Rercharge... why didn't I think of that? I've always envision them as burning out, which is probably why my acolytes have stayed clear of them mostly, but if you could recharge them the only real disadvantage would be the need to reload it frequently - which can pretty much be negated with Quickdraw or maybe Rapid Reload.

If nothing else you could keep one laspistol with hot-shot a one with normal or overcharge pack, so you could get consistent damage or one really nice one.

In any case even Hot Shot damage is soon obsolete compared to bolt weapons and better. I don't see a problem with reuse.

Friend of the Dork said:

In any case even Hot Shot damage is soon obsolete compared to bolt weapons and better. I don't see a problem with reuse.

Um, not really, actually.

• Hot-shots give Pen 4, and Tearing to a las weapon. Slap that in a long las with the updated (errata'd) rule for accurate weapons and you have the potential for a 4d10+3 damage roll where you keep the best 3 dice.
  • Bolt guns are Pen 4, Tearing with a base damage of 1d10+5. With the exception of the Angelus in the IHB and the Solo in ItS ; both of which are sniper type weapons, bolt weapons tend to fall a bit short

It really depends on what weapon you're using those hot-shot packs with. Now, pretty much everything has more staying power than the user of hot-shot packs.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

Friend of the Dork said:

• Hot-shots give Pen 4, and Tearing to a las weapon. Slap that in a long las with the updated (errata'd) rule for accurate weapons and you have the potential for a 4d10+3 damage roll where you keep the best 3 dice.
  • Bolt guns are Pen 4, Tearing with a base damage of 1d10+5. With the exception of the Angelus in the IHB and the Solo in ItS ; both of which are sniper type weapons, bolt weapons tend to fall a bit short

It really depends on what weapon you're using those hot-shot packs with. Now, pretty much everything has more staying power than the user of hot-shot packs.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Well yeah obviously accurate basic weapons makes ALL the difference. I still say that even manstopper rounds are obsolete compared to Bolt etc., even though a hunting rifle with manstopper can surely outdamage most bolt weapons....

Brother Praetus said:

Friend of the Dork said:

-=Brother Praetus=-

[/quote

mini mp las

MILLANDSON said:

Macharias the Mendicant said:

Because, in the process of transferring such a high amount of energy, the internal components burn out and make it worthless after the first shot? That's how they're described in Gaunt's Ghosts, after all.

I've got the feeling the Ghosts are only pretending they're using las-weapons - they've got non-rechargeable ammo, they need to adjust their aim for distance and they have recoil.