Bridge/Dead end question

By Genes, in DungeonQuest

I was playing a 2 player game this afternoon and came across this interesting(to me, at least) scenario:

On my turn, I drew a 3 way corridor and must move again. I moved in the direction of the south edge of the board, and arrived at that edge. I then drew another tile - a bridge tile. So it's either cross or stay on the same side. I can't move because I'm at the edge of the board, so I chose to stay and move back to the corridor on my next turn. However, the other player drew a "Curse of the Wizard", which shifts the orientation of all corridors. So on my turn, I am now unable to turn back. The tile is also unsearchable. So I died as a trapped hero.

Now, could I have just jumped down the bridge and take 1d6 damage instead? As in, attempt to cross but failing my agility test on purpose?

Yes, I would say that if you choose to stay in the corridor tile you`ll have to die. But moving onto the bridge and try to stand the test or make your way through the dungeon are in my opinion two good alternatives.

Genes said:

I was playing a 2 player game this afternoon and came across this interesting(to me, at least) scenario:

On my turn, I drew a 3 way corridor and must move again. I moved in the direction of the south edge of the board, and arrived at that edge. I then drew another tile - a bridge tile. So it's either cross or stay on the same side. I can't move because I'm at the edge of the board, so I chose to stay and move back to the corridor on my next turn. However, the other player drew a "Curse of the Wizard", which shifts the orientation of all corridors. So on my turn, I am now unable to turn back. The tile is also unsearchable. So I died as a trapped hero.

Now, could I have just jumped down the bridge and take 1d6 damage instead? As in, attempt to cross but failing my agility test on purpose?

Technically, you couldn't just choose to jump down from the bridge. If you don't try to cross, then you MUST return to the tile you came from. You can only ever attempt to cross (and maybe fall to the catacombs) the first time you enter that chamber. So, going by the rules, you had to die (or hope someone else rotates the corridors again).

Thematically, it makes absolutely no sense that someone would just sit there and starve to death, or allow himself to get eaten instead of going down to the catacombs to find another way out. So you may just want to houserule that you can jump down on purpose in the very small chance that this instance occurs.

However, that may open a can of worms - why can't they jump off the bridge willingly anytime they want to enter the catacombs? Why are you forced to cross on a good roll, if you want to enter the catacombs and there are no stairs around?

Overall, your best bet is to hope it never happens again gui%C3%B1o.gif

Yeah IMO it should be logical that one can fail their ability tests on purpose, just for the catacomb entry. But since everything else gives a bad outcome(instant death, lose turn, lose wounds by number failed).

And yeah, when that happened to me, I was thinking 'what are the chances?' And it left me going through the rulebook again. No solution though.

But, let's say I cross the bridge in an attempt to fall into the catacombs, that would be a non legal move, right? Since I'm already at the outer wall.

Anyway, let's leave it at this. I bet mine was by far the most interesting way to die.

Just a fun dead end occurance!

A friend and I were playing, his first time, my 8th or so. Our paths were pretty close to each other as we got near the treasure room, just south of it, his path ended up turning and going parrallel to mine by one tile space north.

So I'm moving foward and I pull a rotating room. Which rotates around and the next room is a dead end room. So I'm stuck. I move back and forth betweeh each tile searching and manage to find a secret door in the once rotating room. The secret door leads me north into ANOTHER rotating room which rotates immediately and the out passage faces into the wall of my friends path. So I'm dead ended in the roating room. My first search is a Ferox, which **** near cuts my stomach out.

Followed by (thank god) a SECRET PASSAGE.

As luck would have I found a secret door into my friends corridor and managed to make it to the treasure room after he spent 3 turns in there looting the place dry. He managed to make it to the last room before making it out, and his torch went out, where he spent 3 turns trying to relight it before the sun went down. I never made it out. Getting lost somewhere in a group of dead ends and portculli with my treasure in hand...

Anyway, just a crazy luck of the draw dead end.