Pajama Sam

By Laughmask, in Grimm RPG

Quick Question: Any of you played Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside? Because I'm going to be converting this 1996 point and click game into an adventure if any of you guys are interested.

mind you, this game is for kids, i played it when i was 3 or 4. but the environment, setting, art style, everything about it to me had me mesmerized and the fact that i...."found" it again is pretty nostalgic. I'll probably switch out a lot of characters with some of the more well known fairy tale folk, but the "plot" devices of the game are something i'll probably try and use to get some ideas.

I'm wanting to start a Grimm campaign soon and it's great to turn to the games that have brought such nostagic pleasure. In my case, two games I've been hounding for ideas are Legends of Kyrandia and Curse of Enchantia.

I've never heard of Pyjama Sam before, I've finished watching the last youtube link and it's pretty cool!

I love to see the adventure you're going to make cool.gif

I know it really only takes about 1 aspect from pajama sam, but I was thinking about using Peter Pan as the setting for this adventure. Instead of going into the land of darkness (the closet) and defeating Darkness ( a shadow), the players are instead lured to Never Never Land and begged to defeat the Shadow of Peter Pan. The Shadow has consumed Peter and riled up the Lost Boys corrupting them and releasing their cannibalistic, primal ancestral spirits. The native beasts of Never Land have lost their ability to instill fear in others with the threat of the Lost Boys around, and now they are reaching out to the Checkboard Kingdoms for knights and warriors strong enough to kill the Shadow, but they're used to things that can be killed with a sword. It's up to the kids to use their imagination to defeat the Shadow (his biggest weakness being light). Their are several things the players may encounter here such as fairies/pixies (Tinker Bell), pirates (Captain Hook and Smee), Indians (Tiger Lily), Alligators (Tick Tock) and Mermaids.

The six Lost Boys in Barrie's story are:
Tootles - the least fortunate and most humble, always missing adventures that happen when he's not around
Nibs - "gay" (happy) and debonair
Curly - gets into trouble so much that he habitually takes the blame even when he didn't do it
Slightly - the most conceited, because he believes he remembers his life before being lost
First Twin - indistinguishable from his brother, and Peter isn't quite sure what twins are
Second Twin - ^^ ditto ^^

There are several encounters that the players may have to deal with:

• The Players may fall victim to the fairies foul play and magic, becoming shrunken down to their size and taken back to the Home Tree in Pixie Hollow. ( link ) The players will have to escape the tree and evade the guards and natural inhabitants of the tree (seemingly giant ants, termites and aphids) in order to get out and find a potion. A crazy alchemist has shop set up outside the Home Tree and will offer a cure for a price or task.
  • The players may get captured by Captain Hooks crew. The pirates will use the argument that they are trying to free the lost boys of their curse to get the kids to join their side. Even if the kids do, they will just be taken back to the Checkerboard Kingdom to be sold to the wealthy buyers of the Dutchy of Ducats. Moreover, the players will hear the pirate talking about how the Lost Boys of Never Land and Peter Pan himself are fond of treasure and hoard it somewhere on the island. They may choose to search the island for this, finding Peter Pan offers full access to the treasure room if he's freed.
  • The Indians are the only ones with extensive knowledge of the lands and its inhabitants. If the players propose an acceptable peace offering (Book Learning for History of Indians, Cool, 4-H for medicinal herbs as an offering, Country Club), the Indians can tell the players the weakness of each Lost Boy, as well as provide a riddle who's answer alludes to light as the Shadow's weakness.
  • The players may also be approached by the mermaids of Never Land. They tell the players of their love for Nibs and his suave nature. The mermaids promise a great reward if the players bring Nibs to them. Thus, convincing Nibs to visit the mermaids on his own free will not merit a reward, since the players themselves did not bring him. The players literally have to do it themselves gui%C3%B1o.gif I know it's dirty, but I liked this aspect of promises as they were discussed in the rules.