Custom characters I whipped up last night

By Bearpaw, in Descent Home Brews

Posting these in the correct forum now :)

Morrigan: Her ability requires her to be adjacent to monsters, however with only 8 wounds and zero armor, I'm not sure moving her adjacent to monsters is such a good idea for her. As OL I would keep my monsters away from her and burn her down with ranged. Considering giving her either 12 wounds or 1 armor, what do you think?

morriganthewitch.jpg

Eghinn: Loosely based on a Drow assassin, not sure if I should limit the ability on this one to only work on Melee attacks.

elghinn.jpg

Ido: Dwarven heavy melee fighter, can control the battlefield slightly with his knockback.

idothestout.jpg

Anne: The famous pirate, gave her opportunity attacks to reflect a certain amount of agility and reflexes.

annebonny.jpg

Kriss: Based on a Shadowdancer Rogue I used to play years ago.

krissvanvallnor.jpg

Moonshadow: Another random mage, I've put her ability at 2 fatigue since I don't think Daze is that overly powerful.

ladymoonshadow.jpg

Kerrigan said:

Posting these in the correct forum now :)

Morrigan: Her ability requires her to be adjacent to monsters, however with only 8 wounds and zero armor, I'm not sure moving her adjacent to monsters is such a good idea for her. As OL I would keep my monsters away from her and burn her down with ranged. Considering giving her either 12 wounds or 1 armor, what do you think?

morriganthewitch.jpg

Eghinn: Loosely based on a Drow assassin, not sure if I should limit the ability on this one to only work on Melee attacks.

elghinn.jpg

Ido: Dwarven heavy melee fighter, can control the battlefield slightly with his knockback.

idothestout.jpg

Anne: The famous pirate, gave her opportunity attacks to reflect a certain amount of agility and reflexes.

annebonny.jpg

Kriss: Based on a Shadowdancer Rogue I used to play years ago.

krissvanvallnor.jpg

Moonshadow: Another random mage, I've put her ability at 2 fatigue since I don't think Daze is that overly powerful.

ladymoonshadow.jpg

I think you might rise either HP or Armor to Morrigan, rising both would mean she should at least rise also her CT to 3 (the standard for 12HP 1Armor).

Elghinn ability is perhaps a bit too strong wiith split dice...but the character seems overall balanced to me...just one question: how would this ability work in RtL?

Ido The Stout seems pretty ok tank, especially confronted with other tanks in the game, but (just to point out), 16HP should be out of Dwarven reach. 12HP 3Armor should be the supposed Dwarf Tank build for Descent, or at least so it seems...also, knockback would have been more flavorful for a dwarf with some bashing weapon (but it REALLY doesn't matter, and I also like very much that Dwarven Paladin picture).

Anne Bonny is nice, but as a pirate should have at least 1 die in ranged, shouldn't she?

Kriss...i don't see the picture for some reason.

Lady Moonshadow seems ok...perhaps she might even pay 1 fatigue for giving Daze to her attack. As long as the Daze remains a "single instance" (she has no way of putting more than a Daze token on target per attack), I think that giving the attack Daze could cost as much as rolling an additional power die (or boosting a power die), especially for a mage who has usually flexible surge spending. Also, I'd probably move her CT to 3. Her statline is strong and she's very specialized.

Reposting these after some small changes, I've also included two new ones that I'd like to put up for review. happy.gif

Morrigan: Gave her 12 wounds instead of 8.

morriganthewitch.jpg

Elghinn: Changed her ability to only work on Melee attack rolls. Still looking for input on how the ability should work in the campaigns though, as I haven't had any good ideas yet. Maybe dice upgrades, but if so, how many would be balanced? I don't want to overcomplicate her ability.

elghinn.jpg

Ido: Lowered wounds to 12, raised armor to 3.

idothestout.jpg

Anne: Moved one die from melee to ranged, and changed her skill set.

annebonny.jpg

Kriss: Moved a melee dice to ranged since I feel her ability isn't overly powerful now.

krissvanvallnor.jpg

Lady Moonshadow: Lowered her ability cost to 1 fatigue, gave her 1 armor and raised her CT by 1 accordingly.

ladymoonshadow.jpg

Sariya: A ranger type with a spear, hence the Reach. With 12 wounds and 1 armor she starts out fairly frail for a melee character. I'm wondering if she wouldn't be better balanced with 3 fatigue though.

sariyapaine.jpg

Marwyn: His ability is limited due to the fact he only gets to place the order if he ends his turn. Low fatigue and only two skills, not sure yet about this guy tho I think he could work out.

marwynthewhite.jpg

You probably meant for Marwyn's ability to only work during his turn, which makes it "a top tier hero ability" instead of "almost certainly game-breaking".

Since you've clearly looked at my editor, but are creating heroes whose cost under my editor varies by about 100 BP, I'll assume you don't need any further balance commentary from me.

Morrigan looks very ok now.

Also Elghinn seems ok, but she seems underpowered by the Antistone Editor (even without the "only melee" rule). I don't know about this gal...basically, I don't like at all the upgraded variant of Sir Valadir's ability. I don't know how to FAQ it for the Advanced Campaign and I believe it may prove too powerful with split dice. Simply I don't like it. Having a Power Potion for 1 fatigue on each attack is big advantage in Vanilla Descent, but becomes overpowered in Advanced Campaign. I hope Antistone gets no offense if I say i dislike it completely, hence I wouldn't put it on my heroes, simply. Since I can't understand this ability's balance I don't even know how to make it work actually.

Although Ido seems reasonable to me (I don't think I'd choose necessarily him over other tanks in the game, it does not for the Herogen v2.3. I don't know if you care about it, but if you wanted to make him reasonable for the editor, you could move 1 die and 1 skill from melee to magic (after all that guy has the "paladin flavor", which always enjoys a bunch of magic in it) and make him 363 points, which is practically legal considered the system.

Anne Bonny looks ok to me, but steel underpowered for the editor you used. To go with the flavor I'd add +1Fatigue and +1Speed. Very likely considering the kind of character.

Kriss is overpowered for the Herogen. I think she could be ok, if compared to some top-tier ranged-runners in Descent, but if you want to make her generator-legal just move 1 die and 1 skill from ranged to melee, after all I believe you said she's a Ranger and Rangers are somewhat fighters and not just shooters, aren't they?

Regarding Lady Moonshadow. According to the Herogen, you might give 1 additional fatigue and daze without any cost on all attacks and be right at 360 bps. I believe that having Daze for 5 BP on all attacks is little undercosted, but of course Antistone may believe the contrary. Anyway, I believe the character would be balanced with an additional fatigue, having still to spend 1 fatigue to give daze to attacks.

Sarina Paine is very nice to me. Her ability may be compared to Kiai in Herogen (substitute Daze and Knockback with Reach), hence, even if you made this ability cost only 1 fatigue to activate, she would still be only a 328 Character (she should be in the 360 range even if Reach proved better than Daze+Knockback, I suppose, but Antistone's the master here). I like her, a lot.

I'm not really sure about Marwyn's balance, but I'd surely add +1 Fatigue and add the "During his turn" limitation to his ability, which is otherwise broken.

Good work, anyway.

Antistone said:

You probably meant for Marwyn's ability to only work during his turn, which makes it "a top tier hero ability" instead of "almost certainly game-breaking".

Aye I did, thanks for pointing it out, I just forgot to mention it on the sheet.

Antistone said:

Since you've clearly looked at my editor, but are creating heroes whose cost under my editor varies by about 100 BP, I'll assume you don't need any further balance commentary from me.

Commentary is always appreciated. I did use your Herogen editor to try and balance them out. I didn't use it however after I made some changes, hence why some (the dwarf Ido in particular) are a bit grossly overpowered when looking at the final score.

I wasn't aiming for all the heroes to be at their maximum score, I like it when not all the heroes are equally strong. I did strive to not overshoot it however, so please don't think I ignored your editor's BP scores, as it is a great help indeed.

Elric, thanks for the comments, they were very helpful indeed. I've gone with most of the changes you suggested since they make perfect sense. I'm not sure myself what I'm gonna do with Elghinn, I'm not happy with her the way she is now. I think it's fine for vanilla if it's just for melee attacks, but I don't know how I can make it work in the AC, so I think I may change her ability completely.

I'm also glad you like Sariya, feel free to use her if you want, I can post the updated version of her. On that note, I myself quite like the Sheeriel the Night character you've posted in another thread, it's a very well thought character I feel.