Dwarven box set announced

By Elberon, in Battlelore

Hi all,

Just in case you missed this but the Dwarven battle box is on it's way (Bearded Brave). So that's the Dwarves wrapped up.

"Bearded Brave comes with six different types of Iron Dwarf units, each with their own miniatures and reference cards to be used when fielding them in battle. From Bear Riders to Mighty Bolt Throwers"

Time for rampant speculation: I don't think that any major new release can happen without the base set being available (and the old expansions like HYW) so let's look at HoHo, announced March released June, BeBra announced September released November. I think we might see the base game repackaged and launched for Christmas along with a pack to cover what's new for us veterans (I'm not buying a third base set my other half will flay me).

Then two new races early next year, Undead and Elves.......

Chris

(you didn't expect doom and gloom about BBL from me did you gran_risa.gif )

I know the answer to this, but I still feel like asking the question: If that is the intention (and I hope your speculation is correct, more or less, Chris - it is what I assumed would be done with the game from the beginning), why not say so? This isn't a new and unknown big box game, and DoW was blasted for keeping secrets about what direction the game was taking. I've been conditioned to think no details means no direction ;)

I do not completely understand the intention with the Goblin CtA cards, and I assume that the Dwarf CtA cards will be very similar (three decks of four cards, each card all-Dwarf, two of the cards featuring only units from the Bearded Brave, and two featuring units from Dwarven Battalion and Scottish Wars), but the need is there for the Humans to receive new cards as well to be on par with the Dwarfs and Goblins. Perhaps the revamped base game is the place to do that?

Well at least there giving Dwarves something with a bit more dignity to ride aplauso.gif

OD

I'm particularly excited to see what the Bolt Throwers might be.

Cheers,

Giles.

Yeah, the Bolt Throwers has caught my attention too!

I was surprised to see a new expansion out so soon. While I had actually given up on the game, I guess I now need to get those Dwarves and Goblin expansions anyways.

Yes, I certainly agree, I was very pleasantly surprised to see this Dwarven expansion so soon, especially considering FFG is already rolling out Battles of Westeros expansions. I will certainly buy this expansion - it sounds like a lot of fun, and if other diehard fans also purchase it, FFG would likely continue to produce expansions as long as it remains profitable.

I noticed the Dwarf shown on the cover of the Bearded Brave is rather interesting. Keep in mind that the art work on the previous expansions is VERY representative of an important unit in the expansion - ie the Orge in Horric Horde, Hydra in Creatures, etc. This little guy is peering through a telescope and pointing/directing someone or something, while wearing, is that a helmet??? He has no other visible weapons, so I'm speculating he's part of the Bolt Thrower crew. I'm also guessing the bolt thower has a longer range than archers (hence the telescope) - I'm envisioning a wheeled ballista type piece - 2 figures per unit (like artillery in Memoir 44 or Battle Cry) with a range of at least 5 if not 6 hexes, rolling 3 to 4 dice and hitting on banner color and Yellow Sword and Shield.

There are certainly other possibilities: maybe this fellow is a skilled observer and when he's imbedded (like a horn blower or goblin drummer can be) with a ranged unit the accuracy (read as attack dice rolled) is increased by 1 or more. But why the helmet (I think that's a crude helmet with a netting about it or possibly plaid cloth?) when all other Dwaven units we've seen are in berets? Maybe this fellow is part of a early gunpower unit - ie cannon? The openning paragraph mentions the year 1420 and primative gunpower units were certainly becoming more common towards the end of the Hundred Year's War so it would fit the time line...

Can't wait until we learn more about the newer units in the upcoming weeks.

If the bolt thrower could fire at a unit and also the unit beyond the target, it would be awesome. But I understand that can cause some trouble with determining the victims and combat resolution.

b_fortner7 said:

But why the helmet (I think that's a crude helmet with a netting about it or possibly plaid cloth?) when all other Dwaven units we've seen are in berets?

I don't think it is a helmet... I think it's just a fancier beret than the other dwarves. If you check out the BGN announcement, you can click on a better quality image and see the picture a little better.

www.boardgamenews.com/announcements/more-dwarves-battlelore

I am leaning towards your view on the bolt thrower in that it may be a seige engine like device (I think like a small Ballista) and the cover art depicts the Dwarf "spotter". I don't think it will be quite as powerful as you describe but I could see an extended range or area affect attack with the compensation being that the unit cannot move and fire in the same turn. Might be some other hindrances such as a total miss meaning a mishap and you lose a unit figure. It might be interesting to see the unit composition be one cavalry sized ballista figure with 2 regular sized figures. Hopefully in the next week or so we'll see the new figure sculpts and some indications on mechanics.

Regarding the Dwarf CtA deck and the future... I think a Human release that encompasses all you need to field the game (ie base components: lore deck, command deck, map, tiles, etc.) is definitely a likely next release, as Toddrew suggests. With the release of HH and BB, adding a Human set that includes base game components could allow newcomers to pick up the game and have a better idea on how they want to explore (and pay) for the game system. Goblin ostrich riders are too crazy for you? Pick up some Dwarf bear cav instead. Fantasy atmosphere too much? Stick with the Human base sets and play Battlelore '44 (1344 of course gui%C3%B1o.gif )