Vanilla JiTD: Quest 2 special rule

By russ_c, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

WARNING, SPOILERS for new Hero players who have not played Quest2...

The rulebook states that the OL "is not required to reveal any special abilities the [named monster] may have." so how does this work with Stoneheart. Can I just neglect to tell the player that the Giant will spawn back in 2 turns and then just place him again without explanation? I suppose this is part of the "one time joy" of this particular quest...

This leads me to another question. Do named monsters give 50 gold on a kill?

Thanks again guys/gals,

Russ

russ_c said:

WARNING, SPOILERS for new Hero players who have not played Quest2...

The rulebook states that the OL "is not required to reveal any special abilities the [named monster] may have." so how does this work with Stoneheart. Can I just neglect to tell the player that the Giant will spawn back in 2 turns and then just place him again without explanation? I suppose this is part of the "one time joy" of this particular quest...

That is correct. You just put the giant back after 2 turns and when the heroes stare at you aghast, you explain that there are special quest rules at play which you are not required to divulge. If they really want to see the quest book you can promise to show them after the quest is finished. Descent is mostly pretty open with information on both sides, but this is an exception as defined in the quest rules.

russ_c said:

This leads me to another question. Do named monsters give 50 gold on a kill?

No.

Steve-O said:

That is correct. You just put the giant back after 2 turns and when the heroes stare at you aghast, you explain that there are special quest rules at play which you are not required to divulge.

+1

If I recall correctly, though, the flavor text in that quest is pretty leading. As long as you're remembering to read that stuff to the heroes, they should be able to figure out what's going on.

mahkra said:

Steve-O said:

That is correct. You just put the giant back after 2 turns and when the heroes stare at you aghast, you explain that there are special quest rules at play which you are not required to divulge.

+1

If I recall correctly, though, the flavor text in that quest is pretty leading. As long as you're remembering to read that stuff to the heroes, they should be able to figure out what's going on.

Indeed. Since the flavour text the OL has to read the heroes is: "No heart, no death. I still have breath!" Horrified, you watch as his wounds begin to close , and since you have to Remove his [the Giant's] figure from the board and place 2 wound counters next to it, that you then remove one by one at the end of your following turns, I don't really see how the heroes can be surprised when the Giant returns. serio.gif

My heroes actually asked if he would revive the one time we played this quest, and I answered yes. I mean it was so obvious... They still lost. demonio.gif