Scenario 10 success

By Joe Morrison, in Arkham Horror League

After an agonizing 24 turns we prevented Azathoth from devouring the world. Unusually this was by having all gates closed and having 8 trophies. Over the course of the league we retired Monteray Jack, and had Joe Diamond devoured. Joe was devoured due to a secret cylon attacking a moon beast just before the end of the scenario for no gain and without using his focus to prepare for the battle. This was during Scenario 8.

Waiting to see the final updated standings.

How large was your team? Mine's too small to pull that off :'/ I'm going to have to beat him the hard way... In direct combat. EHEHEHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

We have been playing with an 8 player team (we're the one in Minnesota mentioned in the front page post). This game took us about 4 hours to beat.

We lost to Act III

We managed to drive back Azatoth today with 4 players by sealing 6 Gates with clue tokens.

We were incredibly lucky to draw the mystic event that prevents the placement of rift tokens on the board and did not draw another mystic environment card.
At the end of the game we had 14 doom tokens on the track (1 to the defeat), were one gate below the limit (before sealing the last), were in Act II and had Terror level 9.

We have been very very close to defeat and this was a great and close game.
I want to thank FFG for the summer league, it really was a great experience and we had lots of fun playing it.

best wishes from Vienna

Team Warape-Five

FloLeBlanc said:

We managed to drive back Azatoth today with 4 players by sealing 6 Gates with clue tokens.

We were incredibly lucky to draw the mystic event that prevents the placement of rift tokens on the board and did not draw another mystic environment card.

You mean because of the scenario text or because the mystic environment didn't go away?

FloLeBlanc said:

At the end of the game we had 14 doom tokens on the track (1 to the defeat), were one gate below the limit (before sealing the last), were in Act II and had Terror level 9.

Man, my Azathoth only has a 14 doom track, I would've lost by that point already gui%C3%B1o.gif .

You mean because of the scenario text or because the mystic environment didn't go away?

We did not draw any other mystic environment.

Man, my Azathoth only has a 14 doom track, I would've lost by that point already gui%C3%B1o.gif .

It was 13 of course you are correct, but you would not expect me to be SANE right after driving back Azatoth would you?

I'm also on Argonel's team, and I tell you, this was one nasty scenario. We had something like 4 turns where the Doom track was on 12, and 3 turns where it was at 13. About the only reason we got close enough to win the game was I moved Mandy (my replacement for Joe D) to the Science Building and managed to have an encounter that let me look at the next three Mythos cards, pick one, and if the gate on the card matches a gate in play we could seal it! That dropped us to two open gates, one with an investigator and the other in Dunwich.

We decided to send Jacqueline Fine up to Dunwich (she could get there the quickest) to go through the gate. We organized our movement so that we could get her both the Find Gate spell and a Tome that gave her +1 to Lore checks. We also made sure that none of our investigators were one a red diamond location, as we didn't want to lose to a Gate appearing (why we didn't think of this the previous two or three turns is beyond me, especially the turn we had 5 investigators on the Science Building). She managed to sneak past the monsters on the gate and jumped through. Meanwhile, our investigator came back from the OW and successfully closed his gate, and Lily Chen turned in some monsters at the South Church to Bless Jacqueline. The only gate left on the board was Jacqueline's, and we were hedging our bets.

Fortunately, nothing bad happened to Jacqueline from her Outer World encounter, and it came time for the Mythos card for the round. This is where everything came down to a head. We had 5 sealed gates and one open gate. Jacqueline had 3 clue tokens left, enough to use her ability to draw a new mythos card. But the wrong card here would lose the game for us. We prayed that we drew a gate where there was an elder sign, and that we didn't draw a Gate Burst. This was it, the moment of truth.

The gate opened at the same location, in Dunwich, where Jacqueline's Gate was. We had a massive monster surge in Dunwich. We started to celebrate. During her movement, Jacqueline successfully cast Find Gate. Then, during the encounter phase (again, making sure those of us we went before Jacqueline were on "safe" locations), she was able to close he gate. All gates were closed, and we had 8 trophies between us. Victory!

For the next incarnation of the league, we've already decided that players can not play the same investigator they played during this league, and we want to have at least 4 new investigators as well. I can't wait!