Out of Stock??

By Stormtower2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I just found out about this game as part of a little research in BGG. I was recently reminded of the good ol' days of Space Hulk, and looking around in BGG led me to Doom ... and Descent.

Doom seems to be on it's way to being out of print, based on the tone of the forum posts I've read.

So ... I took a look at Descent... and what's this ... it's OUT of Stock!

What's going on?

Descent (unlike Doom) sells out and enjoys multiple print runs. Since it's based on FFG property (and not Id's), FFG reprints the game as it goes out of stock. This is a *good* thing, as it means the general public is becoming more and more aware of this great game and buying up copies, which means it's selling more at the local gaming stores, which means FFG runs out of stock more often, which means they make more profit and continue to make expansions, keeping this great game alive.

This also means that your FLGS probably has a copy. Head down and look, buy from them to support your local game (most publishers prefer you buy from your local stores rather than directly), and pick up a few expansions while you're at it. And welcome to the interesting world of Terrinoth! :)

-shnar

They JUST reprinted Descent...I know because I had been waiting forever to buy it =) I now own it and can't wait to dig in. Though I have already played Doom and lots of Runebound, so I know what to expect in this game in terms of gameplay and theme.

You can find both online, but Doom is harder to come by. Check out Coolstuffinc.com as they still have 3 of Doom left and a full stock of Descent. I would buy locally but there are no stores, so I buy all online...

Descent is really well supported so thats your better bet, but if you like the gritty future atmosphere I can definitely recommend Doom...and if you can find the expansion for Doom then even better!

I haven't done enough research to figure something else out, hopefully one of you guys can answer:

When FFG reprints the game (ie, "another print run"), do they stop and make modifications to the rulebook / components to account for errata, better wordings, or better examples?

The only time I've personally seen a "fix" was when FFG released the 2nd edition of Runebound which has some significant changes over the 1st edition. I haven't spent as much time in Game of Thrones which is another game I've recently picked up but I know they made a few changes when they switched from CCG to LCG.

Essentially, I'm just wondering if the latest print run of Descent has undergone a significant number of changes that I should wait to get "the latest" directly from FFG, instead of looking for an older copy from Ebay or a local store.

I THINK the manual stays the same - but I got a second run print of Descent I believe - and I got the fixed cards in mine...

so they at least repair the cards...

Stormtower said:

When FFG reprints the game (ie, "another print run"), do they stop and make modifications to the rulebook / components to account for errata, better wordings, or better examples?

Sometimes. Basically, I think they'll correct unintended errors in the text, but they won't rewrite whole paragraphs to clarify things that have been found to be unclear. I'm not 100% sure what their guidelines are, all I know is they will make some corrections, but they won't incorporate the entire FAQ into a new rulebook printing. You should still read it online before playing.

Thanks for the responses! It helps a lot!

The short answer: sometimes.

Usually though the fixes are very minor. For example, cards included in the expansion to errata base cards have been replaced. Typos in the rulebook are fixed. In Arkham Horror, they changed the color of the main board (from a dark, dingy brown to a bright, mustard yellow). But "fix" the game? They don't make any major changes with reprints. The FAQ has all the "major" changes. My guess is it would take a Version 2 to see any major changes/fixes.

-shnar