Treachery in Road to Legend

By romanko, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm not able to find out from rules and FAQ how treachery works in Road to Legend. I see that overlord buys it for XP, but when it comes to spending it is not clear for me if Overload buys some cards for treachery and they are added to his deck and are available in all subsequent dungeon/rumor/etc quests or these cards are bought only for one quest and after that quest are discarded. Alternatively I can see the third variant that having some treachery bought overlord can spent it before each quest to buy different cards and they are discarded after the quest.

So my questions are:

1. Can treachery be spent several times before different quest or only once?

2. Are cards bought for treachery discarded from overlord deck after quest ends?

My understanding is you can change your deck (or glyphs) as you see fit before each dungeon or LT encounter.

Right now in my campaign - I only have 1 point of treachery purchased - so that is for Crushing Blow. When that is in my deck - I do have to remove one other card from my deck. Also - for LT encounters - you get to pick 3 cards (if I remember correctly) that is your hand for that particular encounter. Use cards with treachery or not - its up to you at that point.

Not sure if I fully answered or understood your question - but once you say buy one point of treachery (of a specific kind of course) that point is there for the duration of the campaign. So you have that one point (or more as you continue to buy) available for each and every dungeon/LT encounter you enter into.

SoylentGreen said:

My understanding is you can change your deck (or glyphs) as you see fit before each dungeon or LT encounter.

Right now in my campaign - I only have 1 point of treachery purchased - so that is for Crushing Blow. When that is in my deck - I do have to remove one other card from my deck. Also - for LT encounters - you get to pick 3 cards (if I remember correctly) that is your hand for that particular encounter. Use cards with treachery or not - its up to you at that point.

I believe that's all correct, you can re-customize your hand with each new dungeon or encounter. But I haven't heard that for LT encounters you are limited to only 3 cards?

IIRC, you may spend your treachery to make a custom hand for an LT encounter, all the way up to your hand limit of 8. When doing so you may also spend 1 point of treachery to place two non-treachery cards from your regular deck, or purchase 1 point worth of treachery cards as normal. The only thing is the cards are one-time use in the LT battle and then they go away.

SoylentGreen is correct I believe about treachery staying around for the duration of the campaign, and the OL deciding how to spend it before each dungeon or LT encounter (normal encounters do not use treachery, or cards at all for that matter).

Kartigan said:

I believe that's all correct, you can re-customize your hand with each new dungeon or encounter. But I haven't heard that for LT encounters you are limited to only 3 cards?

IIRC, you may spend your treachery to make a custom hand for an LT encounter, all the way up to your hand limit of 8. When doing so you may also spend 1 point of treachery to place two non-treachery cards from your regular deck, or purchase 1 point worth of treachery cards as normal. The only thing is the cards are one-time use in the LT battle and then they go away.

SoylentGreen is correct I believe about treachery staying around for the duration of the campaign, and the OL deciding how to spend it before each dungeon or LT encounter (normal encounters do not use treachery, or cards at all for that matter).

You can also spend the treachery on the tainted glyphs as well - for the dungeon levels - if I recall correctly. I plan on slowly mixing them into my dungeons for that extra special slap in the face. :)

Thanks, now it's clear.

I believe you might be slightly confused about the use of treachery during Leutenant Encounters (for the rest, SoylentGreen is correct on my opinion).

Unless you have treachery, you have no hand size during an encounter involving a Leutenant. You still have his/her/its Power card in play that has full effect (or +15 starting treats if you're using Merick).

Now if you have treachery, you may buy a hand of cards in two different ways.

You may buy treachery cards for their treachery cost. FOR EXAMPLE: If you have 1 trap treachery, you might take in hand a Poison Spikes card and play it during the encounter. If you have 2 trap treachery, you might take an Animate Weapons and play it during the encounter.

Alternatively you may take TWO non treachery cards, but of the same type of the treachery, for each treachery point. FOR EXAMPLE: If you have 1 trap treachery, you might take in hand a Dark Charm and a Crushing Block from the base deck. If you have 2 trap treachery, you might take 2 Crushing Block, a Dark Charm, and a Spiked Pit from the base deck.

Of course you can mix treachery and non treachery cards. FOR EXAMPLE: If you have 2 trap treachery, you might take a Poison Spikes (1 treachery cost), a Dark Charm, and a Crushing Block from the base deck.

You can never add Power cards to your hand during Encounters involving Leutenants.

I hope my explanation was both correct (I just re-read the rules on the Road to Legends ENGLISH manual, since the Italian one has some misprints) and clear.

Thanks. Lt Encounters don't make any trouble. My initial question was mainly about whether treachery is spent one time or before any dungeon quest/rumor quest/Lt encounter/etc. Now it's clear that it can be spent multiple times.

romanko said:

Thanks. Lt Encounters don't make any trouble. My initial question was mainly about whether treachery is spent one time or before any dungeon quest/rumor quest/Lt encounter/etc. Now it's clear that it can be spent multiple times.

Yeah - It works like heroes purchasing a black dice upgrade - they get it the duration of the campaign - not just for the next dungeon/encounter.

(Also - I know you understand this - Just making it more clear for others who might ask. :P )