Which is better: Warcry or Invasion?

By High Elves 77, in Warhammer Invasion Off Topic

I have now played both Warhammer Card Games (Warcry and Invasion). Just some thoughts on both:

1.) Warcry was an excellent game. Liked how "dice" were rolled in the game, and most of the high dice rolls were kept on less powerful action cards while low dice rolls were kept on more powerful action cards. It kept the game well balanced. Also liked the combat system...it had the feel of playing a game of Warhammer Fantasy Battles on cards. Possibly my favorite ccg.

2.) Warhammer Invasion, while lacking some of these, I believe is a better card game. Easier to collect (LCG), more strategy (need to balance out all three parts of capital) but still very easy to learn. While Warcry was simply just a "run up to your opponet and beat their brains out", Invasion has some of that, but you also need to be a "budgeter" of your resources, focusing not just on battle but building up your empire with smart resource allocation.

What do you think?

I don't agree that WarCry was just beating your opponent with brutal strength, in my opinion the game was even more strategic than Invasion is. You had to choose the best unit to attack with and the best unit to be attacked and estimate the result of the combat, which was never easy. Also WarCry offered a huge number of deck-building options, while meta in WHI is quite narrow, but it might change with time. What I appreciate about WHI is that you can't mix the races that easily as in WarCry, better card design and especially the fact that it's an LCG. Also the power creep in last editions of WarCry was annoying, but still I loved the game. I think WHI is a better game, but I'll never love it as I loved WarCry, since it was my first CCG I played competitively.

i like fact that WH:I is like ten times faster then WC (= and you "don't" need that ultra rare card to make your deck work

Ignoring the obvious collecting differences between WC and WI, in terms of the game play and mechanics I would have to say the WC is aby far a much better game. It is more strategic and was very balenced for the majority of the time.

That being said I do prefer the LCG format of Invasion for actucally collecting a card agame.

Never heard of this WarCry, whatever it is. So yeah, I'll go with Warhammer: Invasion for the win. I highly doubt that whatever that other game is, that it's even remotely as good as W:I.

I played a fair bit of warcry. Some of the art has dirfectly transfered into Invasion. Nagyrithie spearmen and "Darkelve spearmen" is the exacty piece, Orcs have a few direct transfer art as well.

FORMAT AND MARKETING

Invasion Format is far superior. I was already burned out over collecables when I got into the game. Only reason I played it was I got free sets as a reward for hosting training games at some games stores. But they only gave me so much, so I had to buy some stuff. I hated colelctables then and now. I have no trouble buying the monthy packs and feel the Invasion format is a great buy.

INVASION WINS

DECKBUILDING

Warcry deckbuilding was more interesting. The fact that better cards had worse dice results for the most part ment there were less no-brainer cards. And the balance between the "roll" value of a card and how good it was kind of balanced out. Less "I win" cards. Less no brainer cards as well. Deck building felt like it mattered a lot more. Well there are lots of cards to choose from in Invasion. You have a clear build path of answering three questions. a) What is cranking my resourses, B, what is cranking my cards, C what am I winning with. I see Invasion improving with each set making more and more build types viable, but at this strage of the game I say warcry deck building stratgey was better.

WARCRY WINS

BALANCE

Having said that race balance was IMO even worse in warcry then in invasion. A swarmy ork deck kind of dominated all. That beign said the game was not in its depth yet in card selection when I was demoing the game, so that may have improved in time. At the time of my demos of the game, I felt the orcs where way too effecient.

INVASION NOT PERFECT, BUT NEITHER WAS WARCRY, INVASION WINS WITH MORE CARDS TO COME DOWN THE PIPELINE

GAME PLAY

Warcray attack phase was kind of interesting and there were lots of interesting tactical chocies, but I find Invasion plays quicker and is easy to teach a new player too and simpler. Sure a newbie might need to ask clarification on a few cards, but everything is very smoother and has invasion did a better job of defining order of opperation of effects (actions)

INVASION WINS

Warcry had potential, but I feel Invasion is the better game.

Never played but this Warcry intrigues me. Adding dice rolls to card games is a surprisingly odd concept, if it were still around I'd likely give it a go. Invasions is a rather amazing game however, very easy to pick up and plenty of in game decisions that can be made to swing the fight your way, even if you don't have the "superior" deck.