World Works Tile Set...

By kev971, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm curious to know if any of you have used any of the worldworks dungeon tiles. If so which did you use and how well do they work with the board game.

Wow - I've never seen that - I would be really interested to know if anyone has used this!

So do you just print out the tiles/walls in color - and build with cardboard - etc?

Is Descent 1 inch by the way? I am at work so I can't go look - but in my brain I picture the 1"

I'm not sure. I was hoping someone has used these. I just ordered the game and would love to assemble a 3d dungeon for our play through this coming weekend.

I would love to figure out a way to make a "standard" sort of build set - that could be used with multiple dungeons. It's pretty cool though.

Here is the set you would need I would imagine.

www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php

I might just have to pick it up - print it and start seeing how it all works...

I was REALLY tempted to get this:

www.hirstarts.com/cavern/descent.html

But THAT is a whole different level of commitment! Plus I don't paint my mini's - how can I make something like THAT and not paint all my mini's. At least with the paper worldworks - all the coloring is done for you. :)

SoylentGreen said:

I was REALLY tempted to get this:

www.hirstarts.com/cavern/descent.html

But THAT is a whole different level of commitment! Plus I don't paint my mini's - how can I make something like THAT and not paint all my mini's. At least with the paper worldworks - all the coloring is done for you. :)

Plus I shudder to think how storage wold work. My copy of Descent is already bursting at the seams without 3D floorplans taking up even more space.

I might be tempted to use some 3D bits from games like HeroQuest to pretty up the rooms someday (in place of rubble or something) but I think I'll stick with the basic floor tiles. I'd feel like they were being wasted otherwise...

Steve-O said:

Plus I shudder to think how storage wold work. My copy of Descent is already bursting at the seams without 3D floorplans taking up even more space.

I might be tempted to use some 3D bits from games like HeroQuest to pretty up the rooms someday (in place of rubble or something) but I think I'll stick with the basic floor tiles. I'd feel like they were being wasted otherwise...

Yeah - I think just for the fun of it - I'm going to get the basic one and make a few RtL levels - maybe have the third level of the night be in 3D... just to make the last one special. :)

I always pre-pull the levels in between play sessions. So I would know which one would need to be 3D. Eventually I would have made enough pieces to play everything I would need. But yeah - another part of me is NOT excited about storage. And my wife saying "what the hell is this now?!?!"

There is no way I would have the commitment to fill molds with plaster, let them dry, pop them out, sand the bits smooth, VACUUM up the dust, prime, paint, paint, seal all the pieces needed for that one. But print, slice, fold, glue. I can do that one watching TV easily enough. :)

Here is about 70-80 minutes of work... Parts of it however was me printing and peeking at instructions.

It goes together really easily with a glue pen, exacto blade, and a good ruler.

I figure another night or two and I can get quite a bit of pieces. The wall sections will be the most time consuming. I also need to get a foam board that I can do a velcro pattern on and then velcro the bottoms of the pieces somehow.

My plan is to do the third dungeon level for each time we play RtL - it's usually a few weeks inbetween sessions - figure if I make enough 3rd floors - I can get enough pieces to always make dungeons. My only complaint is that the red door is too wide. (three spaces rather than two spaces wide...) But hey - I'll figure something out. :)

Hopefully the picture shows up well enough to see.

img822.imageshack.us/img822/7673/descent.jpg

If money is not a concern, but time is you can always chose the Cadillac version of dungeon tiles:

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/products

I personally will be opting for the Hirst Arts Molds because I have the equipment and experience with pressure casting resin duplicates. The plan is to use the molds to make a finished tile piece with Merlin Magic Dental Stone and then poor a mold of the finished component and make many duplicates in resin. I was considering an eqyption tomb theme because I find the Hirst Arts tomb molds to be of higher visual quality:

http://www.hirstarts.com/etombs/tombs4.html

Also, my suggestion to you SoylentGreen is to build the World of Works stuff with only an inch high wall...otherwise you'll get frustrated placing a dragon or other such creatures! :D

Enjoy,

Russ

russ_c said:

If money is not a concern, but time is you can always chose the Cadillac version of dungeon tiles:

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/products

I personally will be opting for the Hirst Arts Molds because I have the equipment and experience with pressure casting resin duplicates. The plan is to use the molds to make a finished tile piece with Merlin Magic Dental Stone and then poor a mold of the finished component and make many duplicates in resin. I was considering an eqyption tomb theme because I find the Hirst Arts tomb molds to be of higher visual quality:

http://www.hirstarts.com/etombs/tombs4.html

Also, my suggestion to you SoylentGreen is to build the World of Works stuff with only an inch high wall...otherwise you'll get frustrated placing a dragon or other such creatures! :D

Enjoy,

Russ

Wow - unfortunately that Dwarven Forge isn't an option financially!!! I am building with the regular size walls - but I am building it as such that I will be using their recommendation and adding the velcro on the bottom of all the pieces - to attach to the "ProMasterboard". That way - if I have to place a large creature - I will make sure there are enough 1x1 pieces available in case I need to remove wall sections (and say a corner piece I remove has a square I need for the map for example).

Also:

@Steve-O - in the thread from a week or so ago where we discussed using pizza boxes to pre-setup dungeon levels to speed up play - I found out last night that the tile and wall pieces (from the World Works Tile Sets) laid on their sides (well... until I make the rounded wall pieces I think) will fit in the pizza boxes I got for speeding up dungeon setup. So I am not too worried about making a bunch of pieces and then figuring out how the heck to store them all!

SoylentGreen said:

Also:

@Steve-O - in the thread from a week or so ago where we discussed using pizza boxes to pre-setup dungeon levels to speed up play - I found out last night that the tile and wall pieces (from the World Works Tile Sets) laid on their sides (well... until I make the rounded wall pieces I think) will fit in the pizza boxes I got for speeding up dungeon setup. So I am not too worried about making a bunch of pieces and then figuring out how the heck to store them all!

Cool, good to know.

Steve-O said:

SoylentGreen said:

Also:

Cool, good to know.

Once I have it more or less completed (the first dungeon for RtL that I will complete) I will upload a few pics of the finished product and the storage solution I am using for it.

The ProMasterboard they show to make is a HUGE pain actually. :) (Exception being how sweet it will be when it is done.) Essentially involves cutting X by X number of velcro pieces (I needed a 17x18 space initially and will expand it as I go) but - I cut the 306 pieces, separated them into soft/scratchy pieces - marked the foamboard base and started applying the soft sided pieces in a 1 inch pattern/grid. It took a while to cut all the velcro, separate them, and I started applying but only got a few rows in before I wanted to scream cause of how :P it was.

I know that board is a pain right now - but once it is finished it will be simply fantastic. Building all the wall sections - putting the scratchy side on the bottoms of them - and having them hold/lock in place while playing will be excellent. After doing only a few last night I can already see how nice it will be. I have all the floor sections I need for the first dungeon - but need to make many more diagonal walls, straight walls, and have a go at the curved walls.

Looks good. I don't expect to ever have the money/time/inclination to put work into anything like this, but I do love the look of them when done. For the 4 wide corridor leading to the runedoor, and for the oblique corners which add an extra space, you could add furnishings which I believe they also supply. Having slightly larger rooms/corridors with spaces that you can't enter might solve some ofthe probelms with Dragon-wings etc, although I suppose it might cause more problems if the tiles don't then fit next to each other.

Did you see this attempt on BGG?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/294671/descent-journeys-in-the-dark

I was actually able to successfully remove one square from the rune door - which will solve the 2-door problem.

And I never thought I would have the desire to make the time for this either - it is almost relaxing to sit and chill out cutting and folding paper... who knew!

For cost - it was $17 for the tile set files - $4 for a ream of card stock. $3 for an exacto knife (I think - I already had one.) an elmers glue stick - like $3. 3 foam core boards at like $3 each. And then printing costs. Oh - and velcro - so add like $5 more there.

I think it will then be - estimated - $40ish to get setup and working... not including printing costs - but I got a TON of free ink - so I am lucky there.

I am excited to keep building and messing with it - I will hopefully in the next few nights have my first RtL level finished - I will post a picture of the finished version when I do. I got distracted with getting my copy of DungeonQuest! :)