Couple of rules questions.

By Ken on Cape, in Tide of Iron

1, How come a mortar crew can't fire while in a hex with a buliding? It could be considered to have set up on the roof of the building, outside.

2, I understand the rule of not being able to transfer squads if one is a specialized squad. But if both the squad you are tranfering from and the the squad you are moving the figure to has the same speicalistion, should'nt you be able to tranfer squads then?

Ken on Cape said:

1, How come a mortar crew can't fire while in a hex with a buliding? It could be considered to have set up on the roof of the building, outside.

Because location in a hex is abstracted, so there is no differentiation between on the roof or hiding inside. So if a squad is in a hex with a building it is considered to be inside. Which is why vehicles can not enter hexes with buildings even though theoretically they could park near or beside the building and not be in it.

Ken on Cape said:

2, I understand the rule of not being able to transfer squads if one is a specialized squad. But if both the squad you are tranfering from and the the squad you are moving the figure to has the same speicalistion, should'nt you be able to tranfer squads then?

The rule itself is fairly straight forward, though if you and your group want to make it a house rule that you can, that would solve your conundrum. I've found that while some things don't make sense if you change the rule and play through it a number of times you find that there were generally some good game play reasons for the rule being the way it is.