Staff of knowledge(gold treasure) hitting hero

By Moneseki, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I was surprised to see the FAQ reply regarding a question for Staff of Knowledge(page 6 in the FAQ). Are other groups playing that SoK really can target heroes to drain OLs curses? It just seem......not very logical(ok ok, its descent).

Moneseki said:

I was surprised to see the FAQ reply regarding a question for Staff of Knowledge(page 6 in the FAQ). Are other groups playing that SoK really can target heroes to drain OLs curses? It just seem......not very logical(ok ok, its descent).

Possibly, though few would likely go that far, deliberately. OTOH, if you have high enough armour to cover any wounds from WGYY dice (potentially 8), then it is a legal, if perhaps not entirely moral, tactic.

I'm not really sure though, how you apply 'logic' to a magical artifact that magically drains the power of an unseen and near omnipotent OL. I mean why, logically, should such a power only work when attacking a monster?
Thematically it could go either way, with neither route being more logical than the other.

More importantly the FAQ answer covered/prevented using the SoK to drain the OL's threat when there were no targetable monsters (ie, fire at an empty space).

In short its a legal move? If it`s legal, theres nothing wrong in using it. I hoped for more replies how other groups handle this weapon. We are having a game tonight, rtl, possibly entering gold campaign for the very first time. If the staff by chance shows up we`ll have to come to an agreement if we want it to work this way(hit hero -> drain OL curses).

Thanks for the reply Corbon.

Moneseki said:

In short its a legal move? If it`s legal, theres nothing wrong in using it. I hoped for more replies how other groups handle this weapon. We are having a game tonight, rtl, possibly entering gold campaign for the very first time. If the staff by chance shows up we`ll have to come to an agreement if we want it to work this way(hit hero -> drain OL curses).

Thanks for the reply Corbon.

Yes, shooting a hero with it is definitely legal. See FAQ pg6.