Rant on Sleeves

By Dietcokeofevil, in Fantasy Flight Supply

I just purchased $50 worth of card Game sized FFG sleeves for a recent purchase of Thunderstone. I later found out on the boardgamegeek.com forums that FFG sleeves dont quite fit into the provided game box. I waited for my order anyways, and when I got it decided I would attempt to make it work. I opened up a packet of sleeves and sleeved a few cards. I then measured the size, and determined if I carefully cut out the side lining to the Thunderstone box I would be able to get the sleeves to fit perfectly. So thats what I did. I was very careful not to damage the outer box and to leave a nice inside finish, ensuring the cards wouldnt get damaged. Happily, I sleeved the rest of the 50 cards and then busted open a new packet of sleeves... thats when it happened.

The FFG sleeves are NOT uniform in size, AT ALL! The new package of sleeves are about 1/4th of an inch LONGER then the original packet of sleeves I opened. To most people, a 1/4th of an inch is nothing.. but that was enough to make the sleeves not fit into the newly adapted box. I busted open another packet of sleeves, and they too are of the longer type.

So what am I left with? A gutted Thunderstone box and a bunch of mismatched card sleeves.

Posting this mainly to let off steam and as a heads up to anyone looking to buy uniform card sleeves.

I also came accross this problem of inconsistant sizing, just this week. Having purchased 7 packs of 50 "Standard" card game size sleeves ISBN 978-1-58994-515-9.

I only noticed once I had sleeved up 250 cards and started shuffling different piles together that they didnt feel right. Upon closer inpection Ive noticed that this is because some of the sleeves are slighty longer (2-3 mm) than others, packs seem consistant within themselves but not compared to the other packs from the same box. This is obviously a quality control issue and buyers should be aware of it before purchasing.

This is a pity, as other than this I like the FFG sleeves (how they feel to shuffle, sturdiness) , but now I have a game where i am going to have to resleeve it after first sorting out the sleeves into thier respective lengths :(

I'm glad you guys warned about this. I wonder if FFG just changed over sizes and at least now there will be consistency. Did all your sleeves (of inconsistent sizes) come in the same order?) I really think FFG should address the fitting-in-the-box thing. I think I'll hold off on buying sleeves.

I'm not sure if uniform is correct but I have found that there are several sizes within a larger selection of the same size packs.

Probably a manufacturing error that should have been picked up in quality control!!!