Road to Legend Compatability question

By Sprawly Ollie, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the Descent scene, and I have just vanilla. My friend who knows more about the game says that Road to legend is one of the better expansions and I've looked at some reviews and it seems pretty sweet. But is it compatible with plain vanilla or will i need the other expansions for addons, tiles and monsters to make it work?

You don't need the other expansions to be able to play Road to Legend. Getting them along with RTL will expand your campaign choices with more heroes,monsters, overlord cards, skills and potion types for the heroes to use,as well as other new mechanics, but they're not must-haves.

It should be noted that RtL supplies all new monster cards for all the expansions up to that point.

So if you really wanted to try out the new monsters you could use the cards and simply substitute a different figure, simply use the new stats.

Each level will give you an option on what monsters to spawn.

A - is usually base set descent monsters

B - is usually altar of despair I believe

C - is usually well of darkness.

So you always have an option to base set monsters.

The new monsters are very cool and worth getting eventually though.

Thanks for your input guys. It helps me alot.

As opposed to the levels in the base game, most of the dungeons in Road to Legend are small(but there are many of them, each with its own special conditions and leaders), and most of those dungeons let the overlord choose one of four preset groups of minions to populate the level with. The first two sets of minions use monsters from the base game, the other two include monsters from the Well of Darkness and Altar of Despair expansions.