Nanok in Advanced Campaign?

By Chirisophus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Is there some official ruling on modding Nanok of the Blade in the Advanced Campaign? I thought I read somewhere that his ability was changed to simply his melee trait = armor (not the additional 2). Does recall if this is the case, and if so, where that ruling is.

It is in the Sea of Blood campaign rules.

Nanok of the Blade
Nanok’s Armor rating is equal to his melee trait, rather than his melee trait +2.

Thanks man. I knew I saw it somewhere.

Does this only affect the AC in Sea of Blood or is it retroactive to the RtL campaign?

As it's not in the FAQ for RTL I would say it only affects SOB unless you want to house rule it back retroactively to RTL and/or vanilla Descent.

I'm not entirely sure of the game balance reason that Nanok was nerfed in the first place. While he is a formidable hero with his ability as originally written I don't think he was a significant danger to game balance in RTL.

I think some people suggested capping his armor in RtL to 5 during copper, 6 during silver, and 7 during gold (or something like that), so that he didn't get the equivalent of gold-level armor at the copper level of the campaign.

I think the main reason that they nerfed his skill in SOB was because it allowed for the party as a whole to be much more heavily armoured in general. Without him you could only have 1 hero with very heavy armour, and probably a reduced speed to go allong with that. With him there is still the same posibility plus Nanok who is not slowed down but still has the heavy armour. This also lets the other hero's have a wider selection of armour as well, just because only three hero's are going to need armour. With the reduction he is still pretty tough, but not over the top the same way as before.

Brian

Huh. I figured that Nanok was nerfed in SoB so that he was less likely to drown from the weight of his super dense skin.