Interview with John Goodenough at Talisman Island

By talismanisland, in Talisman

Some of the above posts by TalismanIsland were from me and I finally decided it was time to create a profile here as well (how many does that make now? *boggle*)

Anyway, another question that's been sitting on my mind...

Has FFG thought about designing alternate versions of Talisman that would allow for different gaming cliques to enjoy the game without toting around a board or minis? For instance, perhaps the board is reduced to a deck (or a couple of decks) of cards, your move would not be to roll a D6, but to draw from the appropriate deck based on exit instructions on your current card. How could this handle players fighting each other? Well, you could have a player choose to engage another player instead of drawing a card, or you could have multiple versions of the same card in the deck and if another player draws the same location as one that is occupied, a combat can begin.

Or, in lieu of drawing cards, a special board could be provided that allows you to randomly set up the spaces...

How about a puzzle-like interface that allows you to put a board together randomly so that only the corner pieces are ever really the same (maybe not in the same positions).

Any of these options could make the Talisman boardgame into a different experience each time. As new expansions come out, new location decks could be added, or new puzzle pieces could be added to expand the main board (much in the same way as Twilight Imperium's hex-based board).

You could make it a CCG as well, providing rare cards and the like, but I don't know how well that would turn out considering how many are currently on the market. In any case, the mechanics are there for this kind of game style as well.

Though, I bring these up as options for Talisman that FFG could work with in increasing the flexibility/customizability of the game, it could be done by the fan base as well...

Ding ding... well that's all now folks! Thanks for all of the questions, there are certainly some which should lead to some interesting answers!

I'll be looking through them and will send the requisite number on to John for his attention and they will be featured on Talisman Island at some point in the future. I can't be sure exactly when that will be, as John is a busy guy!

I'll post news on the forum when they are nearly ready to be posted.

Thanks again!