3D Objects

By E-Talker, in Doom

Hello there,

This is my first post in a very long time (just made a new account) so I hope this forum is still alive a bit to help me out :P
I'm trying to give my Doom boardgame a fresh and cool look by painting my minis and now I wanted something more. A few years ago (yeah that long) someone posted 3d objects on the forum, those objects (i remember walls and doors that looked doom-ish) were all printable and you kinda had to make them yourself (like this for example: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=19605&manufacturers_id=346&SRC=wishbook ) . So I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows where I can find such files so that I can start printing my doom-related 3d objects :D

A few things I would like to make 3d are:

• Walls
  • Barrels
  • Scrap?
  • Ammo

Anyway I hope there is anyone out there who knows just the thing ;-)

PS: I am more interested in free stuff then in 3d object for which i must pay. As long as it looks nice :)

Games Workshop is definitely your friend when it comes to terrain. They sell plastic barrels and scraps and ammo boxes (unpainted grey). For the walls just get polystyrene, paint grey and put the current Doom wall tokens on the top: Instant Wall. Though 1 warning when it comes to Games Workshop, they're expensive stuff

hmmm interesting but not totally what I had in mind. Games Workshop is to expensive for me that's why I was looking for self-printable items
a bit like the link I posted in my first post but then objects for Doom (or look alikes) if you understand what i mean

www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php

I forgot when I found this but your post reminded me of it. A good cheap method for making terrain that is Doom themed (its classic though). I'd still prefer plastic items for barrels so I'd recommend maybe spools from thread or something.

If you go to the War Store web-site they have a section where you can buy sci-fi terrain pieces. You can get a bag of barrels and crates real cheap, for like $5.00. These are great. A lot of gamers, myself included, make their own scenery. You can pirate a lot of stuff from old models. I had some old Star Wars models I took things from like a radar dish and generators. I used a landing gear from the Millenium Falcon, turned it upside down, and had myself a cool antenna array. Also, I found a cool idea on-line somewhere for making a water-cooling tower. Just grab one of those cylindrical cases that stacks of CDs come in (like if you buy blank CDs for your computer). Spray paint it gray and you've got yourself a water tower or something similar. You can spice the model up by adding some plastic tubes or some such. I painted one for Doom and I painted the UAC logo on the side. I then dry-brushed some rust colored paint around the base to simulate martian sand. I also painted on a few bullet holes with a green substance leaking out. It looks wicked on the gaming table. Also, check out some of the scenery for the AT-43 game. They have some cheap, cool barricades and big cargo containers. Also, check out White Dwarf magazine next time you're at the hobby store. The best ideas for modeling scenery from household goods come straight out of this magazine. You can use old PVC pipe with some screens on top and glued together to make some nice, Doom-type sci-fi scenery. Hope this helps.

whow thnx for the replies all of you! these help a lot and I will surely investigate them all with care! :) Still, if anyone has a "free" idea that would be nice too

PS: Interceptor can you post a picture or something about the doom stuff you were talking about? It sounds really cool man!

oh and by the way if anyone is interested, i'm making some pictures about my doom paintings so perhaps I can post them on the forum if someone would like to see...

Other idea is to scratch build for a 3D game of Doom. I had thought of doing this myself but with so much else on the go just never got around to it. I was actually going to make my own board pieces but in a 3D format by sculpting one of each of the main board pieces out of supersculpy then making a mold and making plaster version of them using the Super Sculpey mold kits. Then adding other pieces and building wall pieces out of foamcore or balsa that just set up around the board pieces.

But my group doesn't play Doom enough to warrant that and I still have a LNOE 3D board to finish by adding all the interiors to the buildings. But it has been on my mind to do a Doom version. So many cool ideas and just not enough time to do them in.

if you want to find some detailed scale stuff for 3d play try looking thru some of the scale military modelling stuff, such as Tamiya or Dragon.altho these are more or less for world war 2 era the crates and ammo dumps would work, other stuff to with a little converting.

I started making 3d versions of all of the doom tiles, out of plasticard ages ago, but unfortunately the project got bogged down, and my group doesn't play doom as much any more so my motivation is not forthcoming.

Gallagen said:

I started making 3d versions of all of the doom tiles, out of plasticard ages ago, but unfortunately the project got bogged down, and my group doesn't play doom as much any more so my motivation is not forthcoming.

If you still have the stuff you should take some pics and show folks what you were doing. Might give them some inspiration to build the stuff themselves.

Interceptor said:

If you go to the War Store web-site ....

Could you provide a link, I found a site called War Store but not the product you were talking about ... :)

www.thewarstore.com .

Not free, but very cheap sci-fi pieces: www.ebblesminiatures.com . Perfect!

I'll see if I can find my links to free stuff tonight (on a different computer).