Plausible reasons for playing the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay

By Plethora2411, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

In our last match one investigator drew the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay. The whole game we thought about a plausible reason for playing this card, so that the ancient one will immediately awaken (with all doom track tokens).

One reason could be, if the ancient one is Hastur and it is very unlikely to win the game by closing all gates with an elder sign.

Are there other plausible reasons for playing this card?

Thanks in advance

Plethora

Massa di Requiem per Shuggay: Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.

I suppose your title says it all?

Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Reqiuem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.

For reference, there is the text on the card.

1. You just completed "Join the Winning Team" and you want to have the GOO win the game for you.
  2. You are battling Hastur or Yibb-Tstll, who both have a -X Combat rating, and would like to go to the Final Battle when their X is low or Zero.
  3. Anytime you feel sealing gates is a lost cause and would rather just fight it out.

Those are 3 reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Upps, I forgot to add my text!

In our last match one investigator drew the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay. The whole game we thought about a plausible reason for playing this card, so that the ancient one will immediately awaken (with all doom track tokens).

One reason could be, if the ancient one is Hastur and it is very unlikely to win the game by closing all gates with an elder sign.

Thanks in advance

Plethora

Massa di Requiem per Shuggay: Movement: Exhaust and spend 4 movement points to make a Will (-2) check. If you pass, discard Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, and the Ancient One immediately awakens. If you fail, nothing happens.

Thanks in advance

Plethora

Something went wrong, here is my text! Thanks for the answer!

Thanks in advance
Plethora

Please explain point1:

1. You just completed "Join the Winning Team" and you want to have the GOO win the game for you.

Joining the Winning Team
Effect: You win the game. Any other investigators lose the game.

Now I'm a little confused. I thought, if someone has completed "Join the Winning Team", the game ends immediately.

If you are right, "Join the Winning Team" has a traitor character, and what happens, if the GOO loose the endgame?

Regards

Plethora

plethora said:

Please explain point1:

Joining the Winning Team
Effect: You win the game. Any other investigators lose the game.

Now I'm a little confused. I thought, if someone has completed "Join the Winning Team", the game ends immediately.

If you are right, "Join the Winning Team" has a traitor character, and what happens, if the GOO loose the endgame?

Regards

Plethora

You are correct. I got that one backwards. I should have typed "Another player has the JTWT card and is about to complete it. You can end the game by sending it to the final battle and hoping for a win." You prevent the traitor from winning on his own and make him suffer the same fate as the rest of you.

The thing about a lot of cards in this game is that they may have a perfect situation in a few cases but are filler in most every other case.

Another good use for this card involves a game against Shudde M'ell.

In the final battle against him, each time he successfully attacks, one of the unused rubble tokens is removed from the stack. When the unused rubble tokens are all gone, each successful attack by M'ell devours the investigator. You begin with about six rubble tokens, and by the awakening, near the end of the game, it is usual that three or four have been placed on locations. That means the stack only holds two or three. Of course, it can vary.

So IF it seems clear that a battle with the GOO will occur, the sooner you begin it, the more remaining rubble tokens there are, and the more attack rounds the investigators can survive.

And obviously , the better your chances of defeating Shudde M'ell.

Glasgow Scotland said:

In the final battle against him, each time he successfully attacks, one of the unused rubble tokens is removed from the stack. When the unused rubble tokens are all gone, each successful attack by M'ell devours the investigator.

Don't have the card in front of me and way too lazy to fish it out of the box, but once all the rubble tokens are gone, next time Shudde attacks, doesn't he devour ALL the investigators?

Glasgow Scotland said:

You begin with about six rubble tokens, and by the awakening, near the end of the game, it is usual that three or four have been placed on locations. That means the stack only holds two or three. Of course, it can vary.

LOL, that's definately NOT the Shudde I've been playing against. Most of the times it's very rare to even see 3 rubble tokens on the board. Even 2 is pushing it many times.

If you're planning to fight the AO, it's useful for casting the turn you bless all your investigators (except the one who was blessed the turn before and will use the massa). Well... Basically it's nice to keep your whole team blessed without having to worry about killing time while blessings dissipate.

You want to kill a fellow Investigator LiTaS. demonio.gif

MrsGamura said:

You want to kill a fellow Investigator LiTaS. demonio.gif

::laughter:: that's a great use actually ;'D especially if you're planning on joining with Nyarlethotep.

Anyway, a little observation on the card's name. "Massa di requiem per Shuggay" is wrong. It should be "Messa da requiem per Shuggay". "Mass" in english has two different meanings, a religious one, and a material one (an often large quantity of something without a definite shape, form or order). It's not the same in italian: "massa" is the translation of mass's second meaning, while "messa" is the first one. The commemoration for a dead is "messa da requiem", the actual card's name means "a lot of requiem", which doesn't have a lot of sense.

Don't know whether this could be of any interest for anyone, but in case...

Turambar said:

Anyway, a little observation on the card's name. "Massa di requiem per Shuggay" is wrong. It should be "Messa da requiem per Shuggay". "Mass" in english has two different meanings, a religious one, and a material one (an often large quantity of something without a definite shape, form or order). It's not the same in italian: "massa" is the translation of mass's second meaning, while "messa" is the first one. The commemoration for a dead is "messa da requiem", the actual card's name means "a lot of requiem", which doesn't have a lot of sense.

Don't know whether this could be of any interest for anyone, but in case...

This was discussed before on the old forums. If I remember correctly, the error was found in the original literature and the game just copied over the exact name, not bothering to check the translation.

ColtsFan76 said:

This was discussed before on the old forums. If I remember correctly, the error was found in the original literature and the game just copied over the exact name, not bothering to check the translation.

Wops! I ignored this, sorry! Never read anything in the old forum, simply because... I discoverd the FFG forums only when the old ones were already closed.

ColtsFan76 said:

Wops! I ignored this, sorry! Never read anything in the old forum, simply because... I discoverd the FFG forums only when the old ones were already closed (sealed? lengua.gif ).