More in common with the Parker Bros. board game

By Overseer Lazarus, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

No question that because it's an LCG, there are obvious parallels to both Decipher's and I.C.E.'s prior card games. But from all appearances, this incarnation owes more to Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings boardgames released by Parker Brothers in 2000. The game was also a cooperative quest, in that case accomodating 2-5 players, wherein the players assumed the roles of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and, joy of joys, Fatty! The hobbits made their way through 7 lands (Bag End, Rivendell, Moria, Lothlorien, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair, and, of course, Mordor -- pronounced correctly only with rolling r's!) on 5 different game boards as players used cards from a common deck, as well as item and ally cards from realm-specific stacks, to stay ahead of Sauron (represented by a game piece as well as the hobbits and The Ring itself) and transport The Ring to Mount Doom for final destruction. The game was incredibly difficult to beat, but you all won as a fellowship or lost as a fellowship. With FFG's primary identity as a board game company, and the elements of cooperatively playing out of a single set of cards, there's a very real probability that this LCG will attain the epic feel and incredible enjoyment of the Parker game. That game even came with a Hall of Fame sheet to record the rare conquest of Sauron and all those who were involved. I'm really anxious to see this thing in action.

Anyone else remember that fantastic game?

Oh for Pete's sake! I was just searching for a write-up on the game and stumbled on the knowledge that FFG BOUGHT THE GAME FROM HASBRO, like, eons ago. Guess that explains things, eh? sonrojado.gif

Oh yeah. The one player game that allowed up to four additional observers. It had a two player expansion that allowed a second player to be a shadow player. gui%C3%B1o.gif I didn't like the game very much. I do appreciate using hobbits and great artwork to conceal a complicated math problem, though.

Wow, that's a shame. One alpha and 4 'bots does sound like a pretty boring game. My groups have been a lot more interactive and have made for some seriously intense games. I can assure you that your unfulfilling experiences with the game are less about the mechanics and more about the players' personalities. I hope you don't have that same problem with this card game! It looks like it has a pretty good bit of potential, y'know?

I hope it will be. The board game was also a big time sink. The same issues ruined Arkham for me. I have a different group that I play Pandemic with and it's almost always fun, so here's hoping! I'm loving that the game will feature pre LOTR story elements. It's one thing that really drew me to the ICE Middle Earth games. That, and the art.

Overseer Lazarus said:

Oh for Pete's sake! I was just searching for a write-up on the game and stumbled on the knowledge that FFG BOUGHT THE GAME FROM HASBRO, like, eons ago. Guess that explains things, eh? sonrojado.gif

Yeah, it's probably the FFG version that most people here will be familiar with. I hadn't even realized that it went through so many other publishers.

Either way, though, it's as you said: great game, tons of fun decision-making, very thematic LotR feel. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Just like you I loved Knizia's LOTR, and always found it easiest to introduce to new players on boardgame night. It was also one of our most requested re-plays. It's been out of print for so long, I'm really looking forward to the release of the new Silver Line Edition... :)

As long as the LCG captures the same atmosphere of massive threat level and limited player resources I'll be all over this.

God, I hated that game! I love LOTRO, but that game bugged me to no end. It was terribly boring!!!!

I did not even bother to ebay it, straight to slavation army!

If the new card game is anything like Lord of the Rings the board game, it will be a very welcome addition to my house. My wife and I gladly spend hours playing it and it's expansions, Friends and Foes and Battlefields. It is definitely a multiplayer game. Sure you can see it as a puzzle and just "solve" it on your own, but that makes it all the more fun for some. And based on the randomness of events and draw of the cards, everytime you play it's a different experience.