Strategy Card Timing

By Sythorn, in Age of Conan

According to the rules, Strategy cards must be played before any dice are rolled during a contest. The rules also state that the attacker rolls his dice before the defender. Does this same order apply to the placing of Strategy cards? Meaning does the attacker decide whether or not to play a Strategy card, followed by the defender? Or do they both play the Strategy cards simultaneously?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the attacker can opt to play a Strategy card after the defender has played one, or if the he must decide before the defender - not unlike how the attacker must spent a Sorcery token to re-roll his contest dice before the defender rolls his contest dice. I think I have the game figured out but the timing of Strategy card placement is the only question to which I've been unable to find an answer in the forums or FAQ

In the absence of a specific rule on the subject, I would say that the attacker should decide first. This makes sense within the context of the contest rules in general.

Here is the order and timing in which cards are played (this thread can be found at BBG :

CONTESTS - SUMMARY
Every contest involves the following sequence of steps:
1) Attacker declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
2) Defender declares if he plays any 'before a contest' kingdom cards.
3) Attacker declares if he plays a strategy card.
4) Defender declares if he plays a strategy card.
5) Attacker reveals his card (if any).
6) Defender reveals his card (if any).
7) Attacker rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
8) Defender rolls contest dice (and decides if he wants to spend a sorcery token to re-roll).
9) Successes are compared to determine the winner of the contest. In case of a tie, the defender wins.
NOTES:
- At any point during the sequence, either player may use a play-on-the-table kingdom card or an instant kingdom card which, as specified by its text, is usable in that moment.
- When Conan is present in a contest and the Conan player is involved, the player adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.
- When Conan is in a neutral province attacked by a non- Conan player, the defender adds one die to the roll (up to six) and counts all results of HIT+CONAN as two successes.

That definitely helps clarify things. Thanks for the help guys. aplauso.gif