where are them?

By air show, in DungeonQuest

reading the rulebook, I notice that two important things are missing in this new Dungeonquest version compared to the old GW version:

1) snotlings: they were a great addiction (IMO) in the old Dungeonquest

2) amulets: not so important, but they were funny...you put it on at your risk...are you lucky? you're safe from one trap! are you unlucky? you die!! ahahah!!

I must say that both things were add by the second expansion (catacombs) so I hope FFG will release them in the first expansion.

Another thing I was surprised it's the dungeon deck's card number...only 50 cards against the 84 cards of the old base game (96 cards with catacombs). probably they're enough, but it's strange ( DOORS, CRYPTS, corpse, traps are equal at 15, more search (30 vs 15, 30 vs 27 with catacombs))

I like that they made 12 rune cards (the old Rings) and 40 catacombs cards (32 in the old version).

sure they will release an expansion with more dungeon cards, new characters, amulets and snotlings. I can wait no more!!! llorando.gif

and what about sneak attack? no mention in the rulebook. so no sneak attack...that's a pity.

Snotlings are Warhammer Fantasy creatures, and this version of Dungeonquest is based on FFG's own Tenniroth fantasy setting; so you're not going to get any of them.

Opps. Terrinoth even...

You have to take the time that has passed since the release of the original DungeonQuest into consideration.

The attitude of gamers has changed - Back in the days, people loved a challenge and were willing to go up against tough luck, which got you quite often, in the old Dungeonquest. These days, players have softened up somewhat, they are more easily frustrated. Well, the general populace that is.

I played the original DungeonQuest very, very often and it's my favourite game of all times. Sweet childhood memories, hah. But it's not my DungeonQuest, but my fathers, and ever since I moved away, I rarely get to play it anymore. He just refuses to let me take it over to my place, even though he never plays it own his own. Ah well, I can understand that.

Anyways, I played the original, and I know just how tough your luck can get, especially with sneak attacks. D12 minus luck? ****, that puts some hurt on you. And then the battle afterwards if you're unlucky with the monster card. You can be down to less than half your life points in less than 3 rounds, and that makes you think twice if you actually proceed to the treasure chamber.

These days, players get more easily frustrated by things like that. Players want to get to the treasure chamber and get some treasure. If they don't, they'll be frustrated. Older players might not care and enjoy the game anyway, but older players, or players with that attitude probably aren't the general playerbase anymore.

FFG wants to appeal to their customers, therefore they want to let them reach the tresure chamber, so they probably made it a tad easier. With all the additions we get, I don't mind though. And in the end, if I really want sneak attacks, I'll just scan and print the sneak attack cards of my father and implement them myself.

Cheers,

Elric

ElricDeMelnibone said:

You have to take the time that has passed since the release of the original DungeonQuest into consideration.

The attitude of gamers has changed - Back in the days, people loved a challenge and were willing to go up against tough luck, which got you quite often, in the old Dungeonquest. These days, players have softened up somewhat, they are more easily frustrated. Well, the general populace that is.

I played the original DungeonQuest very, very often and it's my favourite game of all times. Sweet childhood memories, hah. But it's not my DungeonQuest, but my fathers, and ever since I moved away, I rarely get to play it anymore. He just refuses to let me take it over to my place, even though he never plays it own his own. Ah well, I can understand that.

Anyways, I played the original, and I know just how tough your luck can get, especially with sneak attacks. D12 minus luck? ****, that puts some hurt on you. And then the battle afterwards if you're unlucky with the monster card. You can be down to less than half your life points in less than 3 rounds, and that makes you think twice if you actually proceed to the treasure chamber.

These days, players get more easily frustrated by things like that. Players want to get to the treasure chamber and get some treasure. If they don't, they'll be frustrated. Older players might not care and enjoy the game anyway, but older players, or players with that attitude probably aren't the general playerbase anymore.

FFG wants to appeal to their customers, therefore they want to let them reach the tresure chamber, so they probably made it a tad easier. With all the additions we get, I don't mind though. And in the end, if I really want sneak attacks, I'll just scan and print the sneak attack cards of my father and implement them myself.

Cheers,

Elric

agree 100%. but i'm a bit sad about it. Dungeonquest was a "black sheep" in the board game industry...and who loved it (like me) would like to have the same difficult iter to win...or to die. During our last game (2 weeks ago) I was winning with ease, 3 more rounds to the glory, and I've found a trap (don't remember the name): 3 plates (3 numbers), two are ok, one kills you (spear trap maybe?)...what do you think i've choose? death! ok it wasn't funny for the first 40-60 second (for me, not for my friends) , but this is dungeonquest.

I don't like the way time finishes in the new version...roll a die witgh 50% possibilities to continue?mmmhhh, a game could be longer than 30 turns? too easy to come back...

Sure I'll buy it, but I'll think how to put amulets, snotlings and sneak attack in the game. I've already all scans for the whole original dungeonquest plus expansions (great work!!) now I need to see the dungeon card back, and try to figure how snotlings could work...cause snotlings, with bad rolls, become devastating (last game I've lost 12 LP rolling a 13!!!).

anyway I need the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how I wish that I had the Catacombs and Heroes expansions for the original DungeonQuest...

Well, all in all I think we are getting a pretty good package. And if we feel that it's too easy, we can always change the rules, or just use the orginal DQ rules. I will certainly implement sneak attacks.

The only thing I'm really unhappy about is the monsters. No Orcs? And where is my Champion of Chaos? But in these days of Photoshop and cheap quality prints it is only a matter of will and effort to make your game look like you want it to.

Maybe the monsters will be a nice change from the original DQ. And when I'm tired of them, I can always visit my father and play the original with him, hah!

ElricDeMelnibone said:

The only thing I'm really unhappy about is the monsters. No Orcs? And where is my Champion of Chaos? But in these days of Photoshop and cheap quality prints it is only a matter of will and effort to make your game look like you want it to.

Well Orcs are a "civilized" race in Terrinoth (largely neutral if Runewars is any indication, but not rampaging savages at any rate), so any of those which show up will almost certainly be heroes. As far as Chaos Warriors go, well, as you say it isn't hard to make homebrew cards these days ;)

While snotlings don't exist in Terrinoth, kobolds seem thematically similar enough (swarm of little critters that try to overwhelm you by weight of numbers) to take their place in the game.

Snotlings. Ugh. GW "humor" that got old 15 years ago.

Good riddance.

I'm not interested about snotling, kobolds or other. I liked snotlings 'cause they gave something more to the game. if FFG will do the same mechanics with any kind of enemy it will be fine for me.