A new nerd ability, possibly?

By Laughmask, in Grimm RPG

So I was debating on whether or not to let my players see the npc's stats in our next game, which made me think of a nerd ability that could be used. Through all his countless hours of gaming and strategizing, the nerd has an innate ability to determine the 'qualities' and 'condition' of the creatures in the Grimm Lands. By taking this ability, the nerd may make a gaming check equal to the grade level of the creature in order to have their stats revealed to him.

What do you think?

Interesting. I'd change it so that the ability only reveals certain abilities (with the chance of discovering more with a good grade). This is important information, after all.

What bothers me, though, is that the Gaming trait already hints at being able to uncover some statistics (Soft Spots in particular). This ability doesn't seem quite as useful as the others, and also seems a bit redundant.

That's very true, I was thinking more along the lines of stats like Cool, Scrap, Scamper etc rather than actual abilities. Since the nerd ability Insight runs on Imagination, I was thinking they could use an ability based off gaming. Although I can see it being easily abused with Gaming being a study trait and quick to increase. Was just a thought, reminded me of one of the characters from How to Train Your Dragon. I don't even have a nerd in my party =P

I really like the idea, but tell me how it would be most useful? What would the players' knowing an opponent's Scamper or Scrap, etc benefit them? It doesn;t really change anything they can do. I generally reveal that info anyway during combat. I have to tell them what their difficulty is for a throw test, for example. That pretty much reveals what the opponent's Scamper is.

I am curious if you handle your battles differently, or if I am doing something wrong?

Also, tell me exactly what you would allow your kids to use Gaming for. It seems a bit vague to me. My Dreamer keeps trying to use it to help them defeat opponents, theorizing that she should be a good tactician because of her Gaming trait. I have allowed it to an extent, but it kind of feels like an abuse of the trait.

GameBearOR said:

I really like the idea, but tell me how it would be most useful? What would the players' knowing an opponent's Scamper or Scrap, etc benefit them? It doesn;t really change anything they can do.

Lol had to scratch my head at that one, didn't even think about it. I guess it would mainly help in the way I run my battles, because I don't tell them what they need to test at or anything (which I think I'm going to start doing). But it could change the way a battle ensues, if you know someone has a 5th grade scamper and is cat sized (giving +2 advantage) and you've got a 3rd grade scrap....you might not want to attack him. But now that I think about it, it seems more like a trivial ability that I could easily fill them in on.

As far as its use, maybe this is just something gaming can be used on in general - remembering the stats of creatures from their video games without any special ability. I would use gaming for lots of puzzles (where it would make sense at least). I picture it coming in handy in Riddle Manor. Not to mention it's the key component in a successful magic spell. I like to think of gaming as more than just video gaming though, which is the implication I got from the book. To me it can be anything from board games, video games, other role playing games O.o, or perhaps even things like Red Light Green Light or Simon Says. So if the players couldn't remember a specific pattern, they could call on their gaming to try and jog their memory. I'd like to hear Gremlin's input on this one.