Five Expansions Already Planned

By guest530780, in Dust Tactics

Per Page 23 of the rulebook (just posted today July 30): Five expansions are already planned, the first to bring artillery robots into the game;

the second a full-blown two-army set that takes place at a German castle and introduces strange Axis creatures and adds new tiles;

the third intros faster and more lethal robots as the timeline progresses, as well as a new generation of soldiers and new heroes;

the fourth expansion intros the Vrills, an alien race, and includes an army of models for them and more terrain tiles;

and the fifth adds air units to the game.

Sounds awesome and expensive at the same time!

Well I know under the previous distributer the expansions were pretty well spaced apart. This could good be both good and bad.

Good in the fact that it gives time to save money for the expansion sets.

Bad in the fact that you have to wait 2-3 months to get some new models and it sounds like they will be boxed with both the factions

Also where is the Sino-Soviet army? Not listed in the faction list.

Lets hope they get the Arty right ... as I've seen it break many a PPP game.

I actually like the fact they have announced the 5 expansions up front. I am hoping the logic is they have already worked out how they will integrate with the base set and not just try to slap something together as they go.

Chimaera said:

I actually like the fact they have announced the 5 expansions up front. I am hoping the logic is they have already worked out how they will integrate with the base set and not just try to slap something together as they go.

I think AEG already did that, at least the first expansion I know. AEG did say they were already planning a air based set. I love FFG, but I wish AEG could have kept it.

FFG has a history in long delays (though sometimes it is for the best)

From the sounds of it AEG had planned on making deluxe versions of every expansion, and looked as though the base set was NOT going to be limited.

It would be nice if the expansion included other Factions,it seems a trend in these types of games to do a couple of factions to death before introducing others.It's how you look at it ,but I would like to have an expansion that included the other factions before add on were done.

OD

I actually quite like the way they have mapped it out, whoever they may be? I would rather have two factions fully fleshed out and a gradual increase in complexity than a big mish mash on the journey with no army complete and calls from all the various faction players to satisfy their demands. It also sounds like the fourth expansion will be a complete army for the Vrills so hopefully if they need to make any adjustments to Vrills before their arrival, they will have plenty of time to work out how the mechanics of the two main armies work before introducing a broken or useless faction & with any luck will be just right. The fith expansion then sounds like air power for all? We will see but I really do like the fact they have been upfront about what is on the way, it's refreshing

Exactly.

I'd like to see the 5 expansions for DT to be the end for the two current factions THEN start on the third and fourth factions together in the same progression of 5. If things are going well, introduce single units and figures for all 4.

I am encouraged that the next set was already displayed and saw at Gen Con that FFG has stepped up big time. The demos were top notch as was the service in the exhibit hall booths. One can really see the growth over the past couple of years. The FFG I saw should be able to keep DT going for a number of years.

In what expansion are the sniper teams coming in?

marcemtp said:

My reasoned guess would be the second expansion listed, "Operation Paperclip," as this gives players a new Allied commando force to play with.

reptilebro1 said:

Also where is the Sino-Soviet army? Not listed in the faction list.

I was wondering this too. I'm pretty suprised to see they're releasing the Vrills without any sign of the Sino-Soviets yet.

I did see the "Fury of Ivan" robot available at www.dust-tactics.com which appears to be for the Sino-Soviet army, and it says it will contain a unit card to play it, so whether we will see enough releases this way to make a playable army remains to be seen.

marcemtp said:

First expansion "Operation Cyclone" the pictures are already on BGG and there are definitely Snipers amongst them.

Someone say sniper? I just purchased a Regular Edition set of "Dust Tactics" from a gent. online and he has included the two promo figures (one grey, one green) that were given at Gencon. The green figure looks to be a sniper (unless he has really long arms and is aiming them), as for the grey figure, I am sorry but I have no idea what he is doing (and the picture I have really is not that good).

I will post pictures when I get this set which should be no later then next week, as we both live in the same state so shipping should be rather fast...but it the Post Office...lol.

The two promo figures given at GenCon are not future release figures but two already in the core set (yes, sad day indeed). However, I am stoked to be getting the game early and the sticker sheet. Bring on the expansions...

I am a bit disappointed that Sino-Soviet Union army is not mentioned since in the Dust world Koshka is one of the two main characters. A lot of work was done on the KV-47 walker. The second expansion, Operation Paperclip, sounds so similar to Operation Red Lightning in the Dust Comics (2007). If the game sells well, one should be able to see some Japanese walkers. I am also surprised that Paolo did not create an Italian walker. Finally, when will the tabletop miniature rule come out?