RTL Dungeon Question & Mimic

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have two questions.

We are in the process of playing an RTL advanced campaign. Currently, we are playing dungeon #10 - The Ancient Library. The main master monster is a master Sorcerer with only 4 wounds - the catch being that each time he is killed, he automatically comes back to life at the start of the Overlord's turn in his original position in the dungeon.

The question I have is that a normal master sorcerer is also undying. So, do I get to roll for a surge to see if he comes back to life, and stays where he currently resides in the dungeon? If I don't roll a surge, then he automatically comes back at the start of my next turn. But if I roll a surge, he comes back to life now, staying where he is at.

In other words, do I get the benefit of both? The heros and I had a lengthy discussion about this. It seems that the "intent / flavor" of the dungeon is that the sorcerer only comes back at the start of the overlord's next turn, and that you don't bother to roll for the undying ability. Nevertheless, no where is it stated in this fashion.

The second question involves a chest trap card that the overlord played when a hero opened a chest. The mimic card was played, which turns the chest into a beastman, who is activated immediately. The overlord moved the beastman next to one of the heros called Shiver and attacked. Shiver's inate ability is Aura 4, which is only active on the Overlord's turn. Now, technically, it is the hero's turn, but the overlord has an interrupt like move with the mimic. The heros are wondering if the mimic/beastman takes 4 points of damage because the overlord moved him next to Shiver. I stated no, because it is actually the hero's turn, and I am simply using an interrupt like attack with the mimic. The heros countered that since I am moving the monster, and am attacking with the monster, it is essentially the overlord's turn, even if for a brief moment in time. Who is right?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

any2cards said:

I have two questions.

1. We are in the process of playing an RTL advanced campaign. Currently, we are playing dungeon #10 - The Ancient Library. The main master monster is a master Sorcerer with only 4 wounds - the catch being that each time he is killed, he automatically comes back to life at the start of the Overlord's turn in his original position in the dungeon.

The question I have is that a normal master sorcerer is also undying. So, do I get to roll for a surge to see if he comes back to life, and stays where he currently resides in the dungeon? If I don't roll a surge, then he automatically comes back at the start of my next turn. But if I roll a surge, he comes back to life now, staying where he is at.

In other words, do I get the benefit of both? The heros and I had a lengthy discussion about this. It seems that the "intent / flavor" of the dungeon is that the sorcerer only comes back at the start of the overlord's next turn, and that you don't bother to roll for the undying ability. Nevertheless, no where is it stated in this fashion.

2. The second question involves a chest trap card that the overlord played when a hero opened a chest. The mimic card was played, which turns the chest into a beastman, who is activated immediately. The overlord moved the beastman next to one of the heros called Shiver and attacked. Shiver's inate ability is Aura 4, which is only active on the Overlord's turn. Now, technically, it is the hero's turn, but the overlord has an interrupt like move with the mimic. The heros are wondering if the mimic/beastman takes 4 points of damage because the overlord moved him next to Shiver. I stated no, because it is actually the hero's turn, and I am simply using an interrupt like attack with the mimic. The heros countered that since I am moving the monster, and am attacking with the monster, it is essentially the overlord's turn, even if for a brief moment in time. Who is right?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

1. Yes, he gets both, assuming that his Undying ability isn't explicitly removed by the dungeon card.
Don't be sucked into trying to deduce 'intent/flavour' and change actual rules based on that. Interpret actual rules maybe, but not change them outright. In this example, the Librarian has Undying. Unless the card explicitly tells you he doesn't have Undying, then removing it is directly contrary to the rules.
Apart from being subjective anyway, you may not understand all the subtleties of a situation until you have a lot of experience (and maybe not even then), and so may misread intent badly.

2. You are. Interrupts don't change the turn - they allow you to act in the other player's turn, but it is still the other player's turn.