Getting Runebound soon. How do I play it solo? Please help.

By viper5121, in Runebound

I downloaded and read "Mr Skeletors Guide to playing Runebound Solo" from www.boardgamegeek.com, but in the guide he says "You will need the Threat Track from the Midnight expansion to play".

Now I am confused. Since the Midnight expansion is out-of-print (and there seems to be no information about it on FFG's website), what do I do? Does the Runebound 2nd Edition base game have everything I need? If so, why does Mr. Skeletor say you need the Midnight expansion?

How exactly do I go about playing the "Threat Track" that Mr. Skeletor is talking about?

Please help.

Thank you very much.

The Midnight expansion may not be available, but the rules can be read online on the Runebound support page. Just find some replacement bits for whatever doesn't come with the base game. (Wanderer has already got you started there.)

Personally I think you could play the base game solo completely unmodified if you want. There'd be no threat of losing, just a question of which hero comes out on top from among those you picked. Some people might have fun that way. =P

I have found that using the base rules with the Doom Track variant, found at the back of the manual, is very enjoyable for solo.

Steve-O said:

The Midnight expansion may not be available, but the rules can be read online on the Runebound support page. Just find some replacement bits for whatever doesn't come with the base game. (Wanderer has already got you started there.)

Personally I think you could play the base game solo completely unmodified if you want. There'd be no threat of losing, just a question of which hero comes out on top from among those you picked. Some people might have fun that way. =P

U can actually take the game further one step by playing a mini 'Colossal Arena' (another FFG product) and mentally bet on which player comes out top. Of coz, u muz do ur best not to be biased towards ur chosen bet. gran_risa.gif

My solo variant, using no new rules and just the optional travel hazard rule from the base rules, is this: Play one character, no lurking at cities to try to grab certain market cards, and a knockout equals death. Once your character is knocked out, it's game over. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Torbal said:

My solo variant, using no new rules and just the optional travel hazard rule from the base rules, is this: Play one character, no lurking at cities to try to grab certain market cards, and a knockout equals death. Once your character is knocked out, it's game over. Lather, rinse, repeat...

That's the way I played it solo a few times. So far only One Fist lived long enough to see victory gran_risa.gif .

Thanks for the information everyone. It was very helpful.