Soft Ban

By TheProfessor, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

I would think the issue though - even with the useful Silver Key ( which, I have to confess - I haven't looked at enough to fully understand how it's supposed to work and what benefit - overall - you (the controlling player) are supposed to be getting for having it in play .....) .... is the fact that one has to have a particular deck with specific cards to MAYBE stop a deck that can do well against almost ANY deck - just by default.

There's not much to say though - except that maybe they went too far with Magah Birds ?

They probably should have just costed 0- and been "Fast" - without the "find another two of them" mechanic - all for the cost of....1... with them, I can have 3-Birds, and another guy like Paul Lemond - AND Steps - on the first turn, before the opponent has even played anything. Steps - itself - cannot be the problem....I think.....or is it ? Nobody complains about 700-steps...because it is used "defensively" when you are behind - but rather, they point out 70-steps because it is much more aggressive and designed to help you get the early lead.

What about using 700-steps to counter 70-steps players when they get that 2nd story ? Or is that too late...because they can score both stories (needed for the win) in the same round, negating the impact of 700 ?

Hello, I just bump this thread as I would love to have your feelings about that one.

We recently had an argumentation between french and belgians players and the conclusion finally leads ourselves to a SoftBan of Endeless Interrogations + 70 steps :

First of all, those card are counterproductive in terms of fun : Your opponent can't play his deck and it's totally ininteresting.

That why French tournament players decided by gentleman agreement to softban them.

Seems like Stahleck event also offer other type of decks and nobody came with the "Gencon" deck ... and they had a ton of fun, with lasting games including ancient ones and so on.

We had a big tournament in Liège (18 players) and those two cards were banned by gentleman agreement too .. And it was simply awesome how the variety of decks increased. We've seen pentacolor decks and magnificient deckbuilds. It wad a real pleasure.

SO, my conclusion is we, players, needs to ask FFG for a ban or an errata on those two cards, which actually don't fit the Hastur factions mecanisms + kept a lot of fun away when they hit play. I've alreay asked this, but hadd no answers, hope they will do something soon !!!

I am in full support!

Hear, hear! *rumbles fists on desk*

I'm glad you enjoyed the week-end prod!

You know, when I saw my players depressed in front of their cards, I knew I had to do something. Every one here knows my grand mother can win with tom capor's deck, and she's already six feets under. The deckbuilds possibilities were to build a rush deck 70 steps dog etc or a pure counter measure deck. And the last one don't stand a chance against .. .well, pretty everything else. Not fun at all.

So we talked Belgians and French players and, finally, the decision was made to banish those two cards. (I pushed every one to ban 70 steps to be honnest). And, frankly, it was one of the best tournaments I organised.

TheProfessor said:

So my son was telling me that in a video game (Street Fighter, I believe), the Japanese players have taken an interesting approach called a "soft ban." Apparently there are some characters in the game considered better than others (broken?). Instead of making a ban on these characters for tournaments, the "good" players just don't use them. They consider it dishonorable.

Considering the power of Hastur with Magah Birds and 70 steps (see French Nationals or NE Regionals for example), etc. I wonder if a soft ban on the Hastur control would be considered gallant for Worlds?

As a Streetfighter fanatic (see my avatar, I'm an avid Cammy player...) I can say that there are no characters banned or softbanned at this point. At the highest level, players play to win, even if that means taking advantage of loops (most are filtered out new versions of Street Fighter) and other exploits.

Difference between Street Fighter and CoC is that the first requires some manual dexterity in order to use these exploits.

Heck, online I used to see a lot of Kens, which are powerful, but luckilly predictable so often an easy match - they play like a flowchart (which the game now pokes fun at in one of Ken's victory quotes.)

Aaaaanyways... It wouldn't be that bad to have at least an erratum on the birds, And Endless Inteerogation is litterally broken. It just doesn't work the way it's supposed to, and even if it did, it's very, very powerful.

To be true and honest, I'm in favour of an erratum for 3 cards :

- Endeless interrogations. Giving it a price of 1 or 2 might be enough !!

- 70 steps

- Birds (even if this is not my priority, as it's just an early turns tempo optimizer). If the 2 other birds would come into play exhausted, it would be enough in my opinion.

Right now, I tend to ask my players if they want the cards to be inclueded or not in the pool for tournaments. Don't want to loose players because of those uberpowerfull cards.

- Endless Interrogation: "... return it to your hand at the end of the phase " so you cannot use 1 only EI to make your opponent discard multiple cards on the same Response window.

- 70 Steps: " Action: Any player may pay 2 to destroy the 70 steps."

- Magah Birds: "When you play Magah Birds..." that way, the second Magah Birds you're searching for would not allow you to search for a third.

Problems solved, IMHO.

Those are nice solutions two

The only problem would be that 70 steps would become a tempo optimizer (remember that, if played first, it will only allow the opponent to defend with 2 1 cost characters, which automatcally will leads the faction to 6 tokens on stories, if the first players played tiny charcater in a rush strategy.

PRODIGEE said:

- Birds (even if this is not my priority, as it's just an early turns tempo optimizer). If the 2 other birds would come into play exhausted, it would be enough in my opinion.

Won't work. First turn : magah birds, (2 exhausted), another tiny character, 70 steps.

Opponent's turn : exhausted characters or burrowing benath or deep one assault if he's luccky.

first player's turn again, he refreshes all of his magah birds, goes to stories, put a lot of success tokens and discard the oppenent's hand with endless interrogation.

Totally aggred, but if the three cards that create this situtation are errated, this wording for the birds would be enough IMO

Giving up my Magah birds? I understand they're overpowered...but I'll think about it. I would love to play at least one more game with the, I'm used to losing in most games, so CoC is how I make up for it. :)

I thought Magah Birds was already officially banned. Doesn't that make this conversation moot? You can't use it. No tournament will allow it and you will be disqualified.