Memoir' 44

By Anathemus, in Battlelore

How about Memoir'44, Do you guys think FF will own that game's rights as well, as a huge fan of FF I would surely like them to get their hands on them, What do you guys think?

I think that this wouldn't happen until someting at Days of Wonder goes horribly wrong and they need to make deals to sell off their highly valued properties. I think that the license change for BattleLore was based a lot on DoW being spread far too thin with so many top-quality, high-profile, expansion-screaming games. It seems like they got rid of one that was just a bit too much for them, and hopefully they can continue to do great things with what they have left, and FFG can concentrate on doing BattleLore the right way.

It looks like things are going well in both camps now, with DoW putting out the Med. Theater and Overlord so quickly. And it already looks like FFG is gearing up for the Heroes expansion for BattleLore.

If things go well at this clip, I doubt that DoW would have to get rid of M'44, but you never know!

Doubtful DOW would get rid of it's 2nd biggest Cash Cow. Plus, FFG already has ToI. I think there would be too much competition betweens those two lines for FFG to produce both. It's one thing to compete against other companies, another to compete against yourself.

I am happy with BL at FFG and M44 at DOW.

With FFG having ToI, I doubt seriously that FFG would even consider M44 unless DoW needed some major cash. So I wouldn't expect it anytime soon - if at all.

Cab

are you crazy! and miss the chance to complane everytime it feels like DOW is supporting M44 more then FFG is suporting battlelore!

I think CF has the right of it,M44 & FFG aren't really a good fit.

OD

Maybe "Tide of Memoir" or "Memoir of Iron"

I've never played memoir. Is it the same as Battlelore?

With Tide of Iron it would cause too much conflict of interest in my opinion. DOW got rid of Battlelore so it could concentrate more on Memoir I do believe and I think the fans are happier because of it. I wasnt too thrilled with the collectible figure route and the paltry paper map with a figure final bid by DOW.

HonorforONEFilms said:

Somewhat, its by the same designer but it doesnt have any difference between units (other than regular and elite). There are no Heavies, Medium, or lights (partially why I dont like Memoir). The tanks are all the same (another reason I dont like it). Its just not historical enough for me, however it is a great beginners wargame.

Luftwaffe Flak said:

HonorforONEFilms said:

Somewhat, its by the same designer but it doesnt have any difference between units (other than regular and elite). There are no Heavies, Medium, or lights (partially why I dont like Memoir). The tanks are all the same (another reason I dont like it). Its just not historical enough for me, however it is a great beginners wargame.

Sounds kinda like boring version of Battlelore?

HonorforONEFilms said:

Luftwaffe Flak said:

HonorforONEFilms said:

Sounds kinda like boring version of Battlelore?

Thats EXACTLY how I would describe it! I LOVE Battlelore but hate Memoir, hence why Im trading my Memoir+East Front Exansion for the base TOI! More accuracy with the units and more excitement LOL.

Apperantly Days of wonder sold Batllelore so they could focus on memoir.

FWIW, as much as I love BattleLore, I feel Memoir is better. It's "cleaner" and plays differently since you don't have to worry about Bold and battleback and keeping your units in neat triangle formations. A lot of what you see in one, you get in the other. For example, the new Scottish Chiefs are somewhat similar to the Japanese in M44. And I would assume that dragons may be treated the same as Planes in M44.

Different version of the system? Yes. Boring version? Absolutely not!

Why I descibed it as the boring version is because the only discription I've ever had of it (other than yours happy.gif ) is the one that I queted.

"Somewhat, its by the same designer but it doesnt have any difference between units (other than regular and elite). There are no Heavies, Medium, or lights (partially why I dont like Memoir). The tanks are all the same (another reason I dont like it). Its just not historical enough for me, however it is a great beginners wargame."

Sounds like a step down. But I'm sure there's more to it than that. I'd love to try it but I'm focusing on warhammer right now.

If I remember correctly, Battlelore is more troop and formation focused and M'44 more towards maneuver and terrain.

Maus

Maus said:

If I remember correctly, Battlelore is more troop and formation focused and M'44 more towards maneuver and terrain.

Maus

Yes, that is a more accurate one line summary.

I find it boring because of the lack of a difference between the units, one cant tell me that if they included this it would have made it harder because Battlelore is such an easy system.

This of course is the History Buff in me not liking that theres only 1 kind of tank for each side and that ANY infantrymen can take out these tanks...for my pesonal tastes there need to be some classes of units as not just any unit of infantry could take out tanks, they had to have anti-armor weapons etc.

As a rule of thumb if your a big Military History Buff you'll probably not like Memoir '44 and is in my opinion a step down from the Battelore system in terms of accuracy.

Luftwaffe Flak said:

As a rule of thumb if your a big Military History Buff you'll probably not like Memoir '44 and is in my opinion a step down from the Battelore system in terms of accuracy.

That hasn't been my experience. There are quite a few Military Histroy Buffs that I know that love M44.

I know of military history buff grognards that see M44 as a step down but they think most of the whole C&C system is a waste of time.

Different strokes for different folks....