traps

By Lord Loren Soth, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

can i play a trap like a crushing block near a pit i placed as a trap and vice versa?

example hero 1 move a space and i play a crushing block hitting him, later hero 2 move adjiacent the rubble marker, can i play a pit space adjiacent the rubble token?

let us know thanks in advance

Lord Loren Soth said:

can i play a trap like a crushing block near a pit i placed as a trap and vice versa?

example hero 1 move a space and i play a crushing block hitting him, later hero 2 move adjiacent the rubble marker, can i play a pit space adjiacent the rubble token?

let us know thanks in advance

Q: Which map items count as obstacles for the Crushing
Block trap card?

A: Crushing Block may never be played in a space
adjacent to a pit
or any token (or built-in map element)
that blocks movement. The reason for this is to prevent
the Overlord from sealing a hallway completely and
preventing the heroes from ever progressing. This is a
list of all relevant obstacles, current through the Road to
Legend: Boulder, Crushing Wall, Rubble, Water. (Villagers
are figures, not map elements.)

I know that's the rule, but I really don't understand why it's illegal to play a crushing block next to a pit, since pits don't block movement. And it is legal to play a pit next to a crushing block. You can even do both at once - play a crushing block on a hero first, then play a pit on the space you move him into when resolving the crushing block card.

mahkra said:

I know that's the rule, but I really don't understand why it's illegal to play a crushing block next to a pit, since pits don't block movement. And it is legal to play a pit next to a crushing block. You can even do both at once - play a crushing block on a hero first, then play a pit on the space you move him into when resolving the crushing block card.

Oh I understand. My only thought is that if the pit is already placed, you play the Block you can basically get a free extra couple damage out of it for moving the hero into the pit. Not to mention there are a few levels where being able to play a Block next to a pit leads to instant death. Take a look at the RtL level that has the bridge with the instant death pits on either side. Allowing you to play a CB adjacent to those pits turns the trap into an instant kill.

Now for the inverse, playing a block and then playing the pit card, you are at least having to play two cards to pull that off and the hero has the chance to avoid the pit.