Stamina and Sanity Loss Reduction

By Kryptonian Scion, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hi there. My friends and I just started playing AH this weekend, and weren't sure about the rules regarding two investigator abilities.

The Professor and Gangster state that in Any Phase they may reduce all Sanity or Stamina loss (respectively) by one. Does this mean that they may only reduce damage done once per phase?

In other words, if the Gangster is fighting a Cultist or other monster with a damage of only 1, does he never take damage, or does he simply not take damage the first time he is hit?

Thanks!

Kryptonian Scion said:

In other words, if the Gangster is fighting a Cultist or other monster with a damage of only 1, does he never take damage, or does he simply not take damage the first time he is hit?

Unless Cultist has somehow gotten a damage-boost, Michael McGlen never takes damage from Cultist.

What if you have an encounter that reduces your Stamina to 0 will Michael's Strong body reduce it?

Depends on the wording. If the wording is "take stamina damage equal to your current stamina" then yes it would reduce it. If it says "reduce your stamina to 0 (and go unconciouse) then no it wouldn't.

Also (I think at least) for events that say "roll dice equal to your current stamina and take stamina damage equal to the number of failures your rolled" this counts as one giant lump of stamina damage, not several little lumps. On the upside Mcglen can't be knocked unconcious or devoursed from these kinds of encounters even if he rolls all failures.