Descent Content Question?

By UPtrainfan89, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have a question about Descent. Ive played lots of different board games and I have been planning on getting descent and most of its expansions for a little wile now.
I know that the base game comes with card board style pieces for making the board but do the expansions do this as well?
I also know that road to legends main board is the card board style too.

I have been hesitand because I heard that the Sea of blood expansion has a poster style map and in my head that would fold and tear too easy for me to actually enjoy it, but I really like the first 4 expansions before it more anyways.

I just wanted this clearified wether or not any of the expansions before it used a poster map or what they came with or used?

Thank you for any info!

So all the expansions, including SoB, come with the cardboard map pieces. The folding map in SoB is only used for outdoor encounters and the island levels. The majority of the game still uses the cardboard tiles.

I do think it was announced that they are planning on selling a cardboard version of the folding SoB map though.

Ok Thank you for the reply! It definitly helped a ton! Been looking into the game for a couple weeks now since I played it once with some friends and got hooked on it. It really is a fun game.

I think I will go ahead with my plans to look into getting the base set and 4 expansions since they all use the card board tiles and such and just hold out on SoB till the cardboard map is released, then I may give it a go. Tho from what I hear the base game and the other 4 expansions would give me way more than enough play time out of it and more anyways! lol

UPtrainfan89 said:

Ok Thank you for the reply! It definitly helped a ton! Been looking into the game for a couple weeks now since I played it once with some friends and got hooked on it. It really is a fun game.

I think I will go ahead with my plans to look into getting the base set and 4 expansions since they all use the card board tiles and such and just hold out on SoB till the cardboard map is released, then I may give it a go. Tho from what I hear the base game and the other 4 expansions would give me way more than enough play time out of it and more anyways! lol

The base game use modular interlocking tiles made of thick cardboard. If there's one complaint about these tiles it is that sometimes the interlocking parts can be a bit tight, but even then you can dis/assemble them easily enough as long as you're careful.

All of the expansions add at least a few more tiles of similar nature (with the possible exception of SoB - it doesn't add very many if any at all.)

The Advanced Campaign expansions also include an "overland" map which is made of the same type of cardboard, but it's all one piece and depicts a large tract land (if you're familiar with Runebound, the RtL map is the same as the RB base game map, but with the hexes removed and new trails and dungeon locales added. The SoB map is the same idea using the map from Island of Dread.) In the Advanced Campaigns, you still build dungeons out of the same interlocking tiles as the non-AC game, but you also have this overworld map where the party travels around in between dungeons. And the dungeons themselves are generally smaller than the non-AC ones.

SoB additionally includes a high quality fold out map which is all water on one side and an island with some water on the other side. It is not made of thick cardboard, but it is a high-quality "linen print" fold out. It's paper, but thicker and heavier than a regular sheet of paper. Mine doesn't have any issue lying flat when unfolded, either side up.

I would strongly recommend starting with just the base game to get a feel for Descent before you go sinking $200+ into expansions. A lot of people who just got into the game find themselves surprised by how it plays. Either they weren't expecting the OL to stand such a serious chance of winning and killing the heroes, or they get confused about the rules which are, admittedly, poorly written in places. Descent plays more like a computer game than an RPG. Think Final Fantasy dungeon-crawls, not D&D.

It's a great game, but it's not always what people expect, so you might want to know what you're buying before you throw good money after bad on expansions for a game you may not like.