Old Nan vs. Viserion

By Rozy, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Old Nan

Any Phase: Kneel Old Nan to choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains or loses a Trait of your choice.

Viserion

Response: After a challenge in which Viserion is participating resolves, kill all other non- Dragon participating characters. If the challenge was unopposed, Viserion claims 2 power.

So if I remove Viserions Dragon trait in the middle of the challenge in which he attacks would he die then?

Not necessarily.

If Old Nan removes Viserion's "Dragon" trait, he would indeed be a non-Dragon and his own ability would kill him.

However, his ability is a Response. It only happens if Viserion's controller decides to use it. And once it is triggered, it must be resolved completely before any player can use another effect, except for something that uses the words "save" or "cancel" (the only interrupts in the game). Since Old Nan is not a "save" or a "cancel," she cannot take away the Dragon trait after Viserion triggers his effect but before it actually kills.

So, on the one hand, yes, Old Nan can take away the trait and make Viserion lethal to himself. However, no, she cannot take away the trait as a surprise to Viserion's controller. If Old Nan takes the trait away, all Viserion's controller has to do for him not to die is not trigger the kill effect.

Well, it does say all "other" non-dragon characters. Doesn't his response exclude himself on the wording of "all other... characters"?

Sinis said:

Well, it does say all "other" non-dragon characters. Doesn't his response exclude himself on the wording of "all other... characters"?

Hmm. I was paying more attention to the trait and to the triggered nature. I should have checked the wording. The use of the word "other" does indeed seem to keep the effect away from Viserion regardless of his traits.