Another painted BL

By r2deep2, in Battlelore

Really good job.

I want to ask a couple questiosn though. One for you about your painted set and one for the community.

For You: What mindset did you employ with painting the sets of figures? I noticed that all your blue infintry, for example, were all painted differently between each set of 4 units, while most people paint them all the same or in 2 distinct colors or styles to denote which units are for each team. I aks because we are planning our BL figure painting now and had pretty much decided to paint them all the same so they could be used by any team.

For Everyone else: One of the biggest problems with BL is the setup time. It takes forever to set out all the units from a scenario. Once you find all the right banner units, you then have to find all the rest of the 2-3 other units to go with them. One of our ideas is to create a hex base where 4 untis would be connected together on the base , thus eliminating the need to sort and find all the separate units. Ideas have ranged from Magnets to slotted bases, because we still need to be able to remove damaged units form the base also. The banner unit I guess could be attached permanently as this would be the last unit anyway. Laying a sheet of magnet under the unit bases and then creating a hex base covered with polar opposite magnet or that thin sheet metal paper could work, or making slotted grooves for the unit bases to attach to the hex base could work. In any case, the question is, has anyone else thought about or done this before, and if so could someone post pics or some ideas?

Cool.. Personal units !

Its fun if you have something different in some units... like we had pended unit that was a green archer, in one game this unit shot one red cavalry unit to the grave in "darken the sky" now its always searched first by the pennant banner player ;) "it shoots so well" ;) so unique units all thumbs up !

About the setup time. As i dont paint the units I must say that it got lot faster when I just got another BL base set ;) . Now I dont have to search the last heavy Dwarf no more... Another good thing is to get two seperate boxes, another for the banner carriers and other for "masses". You start to drop Banners for him and for tyou, and the other player starts to add 2-3 units according the banner.

PS the set up is part of the game ;) -> part of the fun !

Bravo McWilley said:

For Everyone else: One of the biggest problems with BL is the setup time. It takes forever to set out all the units from a scenario. Once you find all the right banner units, you then have to find all the rest of the 2-3 other units to go with them.

Ziploc the units together (did this first), or use a different storage container which separates the units (doing this now as I don't want to damage my painted ones).

I built one myself ( www.karl.frank.name/battlelore , bottom of page), but it should be fairly easy to find some toolbox that will work as well.

kilrah said:

Ziploc the units together (did this first), or use a different storage container which separates the units (doing this now as I don't want to damage my painted ones).

I built one myself ( www.karl.frank.name/battlelore , bottom of page), but it should be fairly easy to find some toolbox that will work as well.

That certainly was an upgrade from ziploc baggies gran_risa.gif

And both you and the OP have added to the building inspiration that will someday push me to painting my own set. Nicely done.

kilrah said:

Bravo McWilley said:

What are you.... a proffesional carpenter? That looks great and here I was thinking the original box was allready well designed for storing things. Allthough I reckon it won't do if you've painted your figures, wich I am planning to do..... some day.

Having said so, I got immedeatly 'into trouble' after receiving Lore this Christmas as it included the promo figures and the box doesn't allow any room to store those. So maybe I should simply reserve a shelf and put them on permanent display instead.

Hm, just dawned on me, have you decided not to go for any expansions? It seems as if you'll need another box when you do.

But as said, looks great, I reckon most of us would like one.

I just got Battlore, and I am still pondering if I want to take the plunge and paint the masses. I'm an experienced miniatures painter (12+years, woot!), but WOW....that's a lot of painting! If anything, though, ail the examples of painted armies make me want to do the same.

Cool thing, though. When I went through my BL box, I actually got three blue infantry and two Goblin swordsmen extra! Maybe I'll use them for test color scemes.

Although I must say, when I look at all those minis, I am definitely going to try my hand at "dipping", to speed things up. I've heard of it for some time now, but never tried it yet (I'm usually a pretty 'traditional' miniatures painter).

Same here, I've just gotten them out of the box for the first time.

I must say I'd expected worse from what I'd heard about bendy bits. There are a view but not that many, mostly odly curved swords.

So you got extra units? I must go and count myne to find out if I had the same luck. Mind you I allready (apparently) was lucky to get the promos with my game, so any more luck would just be freaky.

I wish I had your experience painting, cause I too am considering painting the armies. I used to paint my plastic toy soldiers with some kind of oil based paint, but that apparently is not the way to do things and sadly I've found out there's no shops, where I live, that sell the right stuff.

I must honestly admit I don't like it how most people seem to paint there units all in the same collour. I mean if you've seen one dwarf you've seen them all. If I get a chance to paint I'd probably try and give them all slightly different outfits, that should make painting less boring and why not... I mean they are all fighting under a banner, so why would you all have to paint them in one collour. It'll be an epic task but just imagine how ít'll all look once painted.

I wonder how long I'll be able to resist to start buying expansions. Just imagine........even more painting.

sagitar said:

What are you.... a proffesional carpenter? That looks great and here I was thinking the original box was allready well designed for storing things. Allthough I reckon it won't do if you've painted your figures, wich I am planning to do..... some day.

Hehe, no. Just like painting, it is less a matter of skill then of patience. I mean how hard is it to glue a box together out of 5 pieces of properly cut wood. The rest is just ornaments.

Hmm yeah sure. Pull the other one, I think you're making it sound much easier than it actually is, or everybody would have one of those.

aplauso.gif I really think you've done a great job, never mind the ornaments. Maybe you should publish some detailed drawings on how to make your own. Either that, or start selling them

gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'm just wondering, since battlelore figs are soft plastic, did you have any problems with your basecoat?

If not, did you use standard spray paint or some other medium?

Hello,

For the base I used the Citadels Skull White Primer Spray, then they where painted using various Citadel paints.

One just have to bear in mind that those paints are acrylic. Which means that in order to preserved them for a longer time the models need to be sprayed with acrylic purity seal.

Hi,

I to have used Citadel primer, but remember to was the figures first in warm soapy water and dry before starting to spray. It gets rid of the "gunk" left after moulding and paint will take better.

I use a technique similar to dipping but a little less messy, After undercoating I paint the basic block colours on each miniature and then after these are dry paint over them using the excellent "super shaders" from Coat d'armes. The dark brown is excellent for nearly everyone and the black used for the armoured stuff. It is quick and gives a really impressive look to your figures. After this has dried seal with a good matte or gloss varnish dependent on your taste.

If you do take the painting step then you really need to invest in good storage (soft plastics will flake quickly if just thrown in the box). Hunt down any number of relatively good alternatives at your local DiY shop, or Craft outlets.

WilyC