Is there an FAQ yet? - I have a question about Rank Bonus

By Arkobla Conn, in Battles of Napoleon

Hi all - just got this game and have been reading through the rules. So far, everything seems relatively clear but I noticed one example (on page 34) that explains the rank bonus (fire) ... but I think it does so incorrectly.

It states that the bonuses of an infantry unit in line, with a fire value of +1, gets the following bonuses in the example

+1 (fire value)

+4 (number of firing figures),

+2 (ranks of the target unit - which is in Column)

for a total of +7.

Now, where is the infantry units rank bonus? Is that Fire Value? (I think not, as this is printed on the card) . So, since the chart shows a +1 for Infantry in Line and a +2 for infantry in column...and the header states that this bonus is a 'rank bonus for the firing unit'...either the example above has forgotten the +1 and the total should be +8...or uses the wrong rank theory and should be a bonus for the firing unit, not the defending unit...and the total would be a +6.

Any help here would be appreciated...

thanks

Arkobla

Rank bonus is based on the TARGET unit's formation. See page 33-34 under rank bonus:

1 rank for infantry in line

2 ranks for infantry in column

1 rank for cavalry and artillery

0 ranks for infantry in open order

4 ranks for infantry in square

If firing at the flank of a unit, the rank bonus is equal to the number of stands crossed by fire .

In the example, the French infatry is in column, therefore the British infantry receive a +2 rank bonus.

Thanks - I figured it out a couple hours later through context clues...but I think the chart headers are misleading...