Rules Questions

By Burto001, in Battles of Napoleon

I think a reasonable "house rule" could be that infantry in line with an attack order could advance 1 hex and be disordered.

While this could be perceived as more "realistic" in fact it would reduce the importance of proper use of formation, so I would not bet that the game would benefit from such a change. However I am definitely interested in your experience if you try such a rule!

Cybernex,

Is it the correct interpretation of the rules that infantry, in line with an attack order, can advance if a hex they:

• fire on is vacated
  • melee is vacated.

I understood that the line couldn't move, but it was unclear to me on whether or not the line could advance.

Also, when you get a chance, could you look at the rules questions I had in my 7/18 post.

Thank you,

James

James this is what I understood:

Yes, it is right, the infantry in line with attack order can advance in a hex vacated after a fire attack and must advance in a hex vacated after a melee attack.

After the advance the infantry in line is disordered.

Cybernex, I'll try it.

" in fact it would reduce the importance of proper use of formation" what do You mean exactly?

I belived that the column was more powerful for melee than fire and line more powerful for fire than melee, but this do not prevent the line to move.

Otherwise, how can refight battles of the early Empire like Jena or Austerlitz where the Prussians and Russians fought in line?

Claudio.

Cybernex said:

peterperla said:

Lines in the sand

We were quite puzzled to discover that infantry in line formation cannot move. Given the undeniable historical fact that the British infantry almost invariably attaccked in line formation, this limitation seems to require some explanation.

While on the subject of lines, I was bemused by the stricture against the French from using line in the maida scenario. The designers seem to have fallen for the old canard about maida, that the French attacked in column formation and were shot to pieces by the superior British firepower. Even Oman, who may well have created this myth, admitted his error in one of the later editions of his work, only to have subesequent editions reprint the errorpresumably because it made a better story! In fact, the French were advancing in deployed lines and Kempt's brigade caught them with one or two volleys followed by a bayonet charge (the tactic that became the mainstayof the British infantry throughout the war). This shattered the entirety of Compere's brigade, and Kempt's own command spent the rest of the day chasing the survivors off the field.

Peter

It is surely possible to have differing interpretations of how the Battle of Maida developed, and the one which was chosen to use for the scenario made for an interesting limitation to show typical tacticts of the two opponents.

Whoever does not like the limitation is of course welcome to lift it when playing at home! (I don't see many tournaments played using the "Maida" scenario...)

Oh, indeed. Sorry if I was more pednatic than even usual. One of my pet peeves, I fear. Thanks for the perspective. I still don't get the idea behind prohibiting movement in line, but the idea of showing typical tactics is certainly not a bad one.

Thanks

Peter

Cybernex said:

Burto001 said:

Disorder is removed during the Formation Change phase, but removing disorders is not the same as changing formation, so the events which apply to formation changes don't apply to removal of disorder.

I am not so sure. Under Wheeling, the rules say: "During a formation change (including recovering from disorder), units may...."

KlausFritsch said:

Cybernex said:

Burto001 said:

Disorder is removed during the Formation Change phase, but removing disorders is not the same as changing formation, so the events which apply to formation changes don't apply to removal of disorder.

I am not so sure. Under Wheeling, the rules say: "During a formation change (including recovering from disorder), units may...."

OK, I asked Nexus, and they say recovering from disorder does not trigger reaction cards.

I too am a little worried about the rule restricting movement of lines. I like the idea of a line moving and having to die roll to see if it disorders. Also it cn do one action per turn not per segment. So you can move a line one hex or formation change or wheel. If you move one hex do the disorder roll based on the unit's quality and terrain. Makes sense to me and fits in nicely with column rate of movement.

With this many rules questions, is there a place where all of them are consolidated and one could print them out? It would seem to be a good idea,

and I for one am incompetent with such tasks as cutting & pasting. Thank you. RC