A short new player question (hand cards)

By rashktah, in Dust

Hi!

I'm new to Dust, but I've played several other FFG games, such as the brilliant 'Chaos in the Old World', 'Twilight Imperium 3rd', 'Battlestar Galactica' and others.

But I do have a little question about some rules that I would like to have ironed out before my first game in a few days.

It would be great if anyone could help me... :)

Q) When am I able to use the special abilities of some of the hand cards? For example, may I choose when to use the ability of Sigrid or do I have to use the ability in the first battle I'm fighting? Same example for the Nurse ... may I choose in which battle I want to use her ability or do I have to expire her in the first battle I'm drawn into?

A) ???

Uuuh, I have just found another rule I would like to ask a question about... ^.^

Q) When playing a 'Mech drop', may I take one mor more mechs out of an army that has just finished attacking something? So, for example, three mechs and a tank have just attacked a power node and routed the enemy from it, thus taking the power node as theirs. May I, as the player using 'Mech drop' take the three mechs, which have just finished their attack, into my force to be dropped?

A) ???

rashktah said:

Q) When am I able to use the special abilities of some of the hand cards? For example, may I choose when to use the ability of Sigrid or do I have to use the ability in the first battle I'm fighting? Same example for the Nurse ... may I choose in which battle I want to use her ability or do I have to expire her in the first battle I'm drawn into?

It depends on the card. Some cards apply to the entire round, some cards apply to a single battle, and some cards are a single use.

For example, the Nurse card applies to a single battle for the entire length of that entire battle. It could be while you defend on some else's turn. It could be on your first attack or second attack. You get to choose which battle (if any) it is used in.

The Radar card applies to the entire round and you can retreat as needed before any battle dice are rolled.

rashktah said:

Q) When playing a 'Mech drop', may I take one mor more mechs out of an army that has just finished attacking something? So, for example, three mechs and a tank have just attacked a power node and routed the enemy from it, thus taking the power node as theirs. May I, as the player using 'Mech drop' take the three mechs, which have just finished their attack, into my force to be dropped?

Yes, since you can attack multiple times in a single turn with the same units, the Mech Drop card is used as one of those attacks, in any order.

Thanks for your answers. So I can chose when to use the ability of the Nurse. Excellent. :)

rashktah said:

Thanks for your answers. So I can chose when to use the ability of the Nurse. Excellent. :)

Yes, if you use it at all.

Many times if it looks like someone may be gearing up to attack one of my larger stacks (like my capitol), I will play the Nurse card on the turn that I think they might attack. I will save the Nurse's ability for the most important battle. If they chicken out and decide not to attack, the maybe I wasted the Nurse card or perhaps it was the reason they didn't attack.